• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air brakes + mud + frost

hayesbros

looking at buying a ss 1078 for field aplication and was
Wondering if changing to disc brakes would solve frozen brake
Problems my experience with air brakes is when left wet in
Cold temps means hammer to release them in the morning
This truck would operate in cold temps and left in field over night
Is there any way to switch to a hydrologic system or would disc air
Brakes do the trick
This truck would be used for farm tiling if any of u are familiar with that

wehring

I have looked into a disc conversion with little luck. Would love to know what part numbers are required to put discs on my m1078

justin

BigAmbo

All the trucks we ran in the artic were air brakes. Just make sure before winter that the dryer is functioning correctly and you drain the water out of the tank regularity. We also used anti freeze in the air lines when necessary.

painter paul

I believe he is saying the brake shoes freeze to the drums. Its a common problem with over the road trucks running thru snow and slush in the winter. The brakes are warm when being used but overnight they cool off and the wet shoes and drums freeze together. They always say to not set the trailer brakes in those conditions. Hitting the side of the shoes with a big hammer usually breaks them free. Of course the moisture in the airlines can freeze too but that's a different scenario. Then it means the air dryer is not working and to cure that for the time being you take the output line loose at the compressor and pour in some methel alcohol to melt the ice.

hayesbros

U got it painter paul and the room to hit is usually at a premium
Its bad enough on our lowboy when u leave it sit a couple days and that stays on the road

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
looking at buying a ss 1078 for field aplication and was
Wondering if changing to disc brakes would solve frozen brake
Problems my experience with air brakes is when left wet in
Cold temps means hammer to release them in the morning
This truck would operate in cold temps and left in field over night
Is there any way to switch to a hydrologic system or would disc air
Brakes do the trick
This truck would be used for farm tiling if any of u are familiar with that
U got it painter paul and the room to hit is usually at a premium
Its bad enough on our lowboy when u leave it sit a couple days and that stays on the road
How about you try to post like the rules state and NOT text a post, incase you do not know, u is spelt you. This SITE is a INTERNET site, NOT a phone TEXT app.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The rules state not to post as you are texting, along with 8th grade English, the last I heard, that rule along with all the other rules that make this SITE great are still enforce, there is NO reason to put up with crap because someone decides not to follow them.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We do ask that our members try to use proper punctuation and grammar so the post will be easier to read.

That being said, While the freezing brakes can be a problem. Doing a disc conversion is kind of extreme to solve this. I'm also not so sure the disc brake pads wouldn't freeze also.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disc brakes freeze too, but just not as bad. Automatic slack adjusters aggravate the problem, as there is less space between the drum and the shoes, and sometimes they would freeze, even though they were not set. Here they don't have to just set over night, but maybe while your at lunch, or even if its very cold, the heat from braking to stop, will melt snow, and allow them to freeze. As stated, don't set the trailer brakes. My tractor was set with three dash valves: 1 - set all brakes. 2 - set the trailer brakes. Or 3 - set only the tractor brakes. I'm rather doubtful there is a good solution to the problem, as today still the industry is plagued with the problem which takes constant vigilance. One only needs to drag a set of duals a few hundred yards, even on hard pack/frosty road to make flats spots. Funny as it seems, sometimes you can't tell your wheels are not turning. We used to paint stripes on the tires, so we could see in the mirrors, if they're turning, but now were using a yellow plastic strip attached to a wheel lug, that sticks out past to tire. Its easier to see. I used to make up goofy stories about why the strips or stripes were there, when folks would ask, but the truth sounds goofy enough to non drivers..... "to see if your wheels are going around".

Terrh

Disc brakes freeze too, but just not as bad. Automatic slack adjusters aggravate the problem, as there is less space between the drum and the shoes, and sometimes they would freeze, even though they were not set. Here they don't have to just set over night, but maybe while your at lunch, or even if its very cold, the heat from braking to stop, will melt snow, and allow them to freeze. As stated, don't set the trailer brakes. My tractor was set with three dash valves: 1 - set all brakes. 2 - set the trailer brakes. Or 3 - set only the tractor brakes. I'm rather doubtful there is a good solution to the problem, as today still the industry is plagued with the problem which takes constant vigilance. One only needs to drag a set of duals a few hundred yards, even on hard pack/frosty road to make flats spots. Funny as it seems, sometimes you can't tell your wheels are not turning. We used to paint stripes on the tires, so we could see in the mirrors, if they're turning, but now were using a yellow plastic strip attached to a wheel lug, that sticks out past to tire. Its easier to see. I used to make up goofy stories about why the strips or stripes were there, when folks would ask, but the truth sounds goofy enough to non drivers..... "to see if your wheels are going around".

I have driven truck on and off for almost 10 years and never figured out why some trucks had those things. Heh.

One time I even asked my old boss who has well over a million miles OTR and he had no idea either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks