• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic fluid in winch/crane? My head hurts....

PowerstrokeNC

Anybody know offhand the hydraulic fluid you need to use in the FMTV winches & crane? I searched the TM until my eyes were bleeding and came up with Hydraulic Fluid (81349) MIL-H-5606.

This looks like a specialized aviation/guided missile fluid that is pricey. I know the cab lift has special stuff, but was hoping that the
regular winch just had a std hydro fluid in it.
Thanks in advance for the help/comments if you can shed some light.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Any small airport will have it usually around $5 a qt or the newer stuff is MIL-PRF 87257 and it can be mixed with MIL-H-5606.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good ol' 5606, ( Hyd fluid ,red). Used in most general aviation aircraft. I have found it in 5 ton power steering units. F type ATF is a good substitute.

Last edited:

PowerstrokeNC

Ok so check this out...

On the lubrication key it says Hydro fluid is the H 5606 Missile/plane stuff, yet lower down the page where it has the capacities for Hydraulic Reservoir it says OE/HDO-10 which is the non detergent straight 10 weight motor oil, isn't it? ( See Below)

So which one should it be?IMG_2256.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What color is the fluid in the vehicle now? My M936 and M925 run HDO-10 hydraulic oil, straw colored. Tractor Supply has it 5 gal. pails.

PowerstrokeNC

Ok, checked them. So the LMTV missile fluid is reddish in color. The FMTV missile fluid is sort of clear golden color. The fluid in FMTV hydro tank seems to be straw type color but opaque.
Anyone know what color the missile fluid should be? Might be my LMTV has the early version fluid and the FMTV has the newer since there was a revision in the fluid (as mentioned by MWMULES)

any thoughts?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the color is red, it would be MIL 5606 (mineral based hyd. fluid) nothing fancy here, just expensive. When I maintained general avaition aircraft in the late 70's
it was $6/gallon. F type ATF is basically the same. Straw colored fluid is going to be 10wt hyd fluid/ EO. If the fluid in not clear and opaque, it has been contaminated with moisture/water. Drain and refill. Don't over think this, your truck, though important to you, will not be re-entering the atmosphere @ mach 12.
Tractor Supply house brand agricultural hyd fluid fills the bill and is not expensive.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So maybe I should run space shuttle hydraulic fluid in my backhoe. We get a lot of heat build up in Ohio.

Much like everything else, you can use the stuff that says John Deere or New Holland or INSERT_FAVORITE_HERE or you can go to Tractor Supply and buy hydraulic fluid. I opt for the last one.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So maybe I should run space shuttle hydraulic fluid in my backhoe. We get a lot of heat build up in Ohio.

Much like everything else, you can use the stuff that says John Deere or New Holland or INSERT_FAVORITE_HERE or you can go to Tractor Supply and buy hydraulic fluid. I opt for the last one.
-wait, wouldn't you want to use special backhoe fluid for that unit? Ohio earth is harder than regular earth, hence the heat?

PowerstrokeNC

If the color is red, it would be MIL 5606 (mineral based hyd. fluid) nothing fancy here, just expensive. When I maintained general avaition aircraft in the late 70's
it was $6/gallon. F type ATF is basically the same. Straw colored fluid is going to be 10wt hyd fluid/ EO. If the fluid in not clear and opaque, it has been contaminated with moisture/water. Drain and refill. Don't over think this, your truck, though important to you, will not be re-entering the atmosphere @ mach 12.
Tractor Supply house brand agricultural hyd fluid fills the bill and is not expensive.
Yeah, I agree with you, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to make a mistake and point the phasers at the dilithium crystals and all **** breaks loose, going to TS to get the hydro today, I am going to assume the hydro in cab lift on FMTV is the same stuff since it is almost if not the same color as the large tank. I may have overstated 'opaque' a little, I know the look of hydro that has water contamination and this wouldn't be it, luckily. Thanks for all the help from everybody!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks