• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think I might have a 30/50 turret set up on my V, thoughts

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was playing around with the turret today and noticed that I might have a 30/50 turret. Right now it's set up for twin 1919A4s, but looking at the round tubes the barrels go down, I'm starting to think that it might have been a 30/50 at one point. Here are some of the pictures I took this afternoon.

Set up for twin 1919A4 left hand feed guns
IMG_20150331_162334655[1].jpg

Was originally a M73 turret, but was changed back to 1919A4s sometime during it's life, hence the big pieces of metal bolted to it. The thing that caught my attention is notice the opening in the left side gun hole is bigger than the right side one. Both sides are the same size bore, but the right side one has a ring in it making the diameter smaller.
IMG_20150331_162346057[1].jpg

The two firing solenoids for the guns, both work when the button is pressed.
IMG_20150331_162417203[1].jpg

The custom made ammo box holders that were made when it was converted back to the 1919A4s. Has feed chute attachment points.
IMG_20150331_162424302[1].jpg

Another picture of the link and spent brass catcher.
IMG_20150331_162438840[1].jpg

Now, what I'd like to know is if anyone has or makes repo .50 cal ammo cans and holders for them. Also, how was the .50 fired, what type of solinoid was used. What else is needed to convert this back to a 30/50 set up besides the ammo boxes and holders. Does anyone have a good picture of a 30/50 setup without the guns mounted?

Thanks
Jason

B3.3T

M2 and M85 both used solenoid. I sold the last .50 feed can I had but still have 7.62 and .50 chutes. Looks like you have the mounts in place as well as spent casing system.

Madmedic

Pretty sure you are right. Keep this thread going,,, am stealing picts and taking notes for our project!!!

Have a Semi 1919 for ours, and client is thinking possibly a Flame Thrower beside it. The AGRICULTURE KIND FOLKS, not military. They use them in the winter to keep citrus plants from freezing.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a E5R1 Mech Flame thrower that would of fit perfectly in the turret, but I'm tring to go correct. ;-)

jason

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have a picture of the mounting system for the 30/50 combo or is is the same basic set up? Looking for any info on the conversion kit and what all it came with.

Thanks

jason

Madmedic

I had a E5R1 Mech Flame thrower that would of fit perfectly in the turret, but I'm tring to go correct. ;-)

jason
Did you happen to take any picts of the system before you got rid of it? Trying NOT to go down the road you are on right now, I.E. Turret, annnnnnd all the accessories. This is a lot of HAAARD work you're going through on this turret. I truly admire you and the others who have had the patience and the follow through to do all this, to get everything right. And HATE any of you skinny enough to be able to manuever around the basket once the turret is in!!!!

Madmedic

Here's an interior shot from an ASV-150, showing the turret basket. I know it's not exactly what you wanted, but it's the ONLY pict I've got in my files that might help100_0849.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is a 30/50 turret. Here is a picture of it in a pretty bare state. The forward mount on the left is for a .30, it needs to be slightly longer on the forward edge to take an M2. I had to make one.

The rear receiver pins go through the round yokes hanging down on the lower right in the picture. The threaded section is your up/down aiming adjustments.

I'll dig up some more pictures for you.

Cheers

Attachments

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Clarification/ edit

I -think- yours is same as mine, twin M73's w/two matching gimbles. I believe the designation is M706E1. Here is the stamping on turret, looking down, front of mantlet. To mount a 50 someone probably welded your support plate (that a fork bracket can bolt to). I have a pic of yours that shows rust only at the ends, where the welding was done, which damaging the original paint, thus the rust, suggesting a field mod).

Here is my mod (2 or 3 pic), also a nice photo M813rc sent me I used as a guide (pic w/no guns and handle), and few other misc pics (I think Rory sent my way).

The E1 had no plate. I might have a pic.

Attachments

Last edited:

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to go with the twin 1919a4s on mine as I have both little firing solinoids that push the trigger up on the 1919s. Both work too. Also found the correct 30/06 feed chutes for both left and right feed guns. Correct part numbers are stamped on them too. I'll post pic of the right side chute shortly. Most of the pics from Nam that I've seen have twin 30s so I'll go that way. Would like to find the 50 ammo box and brackets though.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know, US V100's in Vietnam all used the twin 30 setup (I am referring to turreted Vs, not USAF parapet Vs). The only 30/50 ones I have seen from the war period were ARVN vehicles.

My understanding is that my V was set up for 30/50 because it was an ARVN ordered vehicle, taken over by the US Army prior to delivery due to TET in '68. I doubt it was fitted with an internal .50 in service, because I have not seen anything to suggest that any Army Vs were.

There is much written about the Army wanting at least a .50 in the turret, but they didn't get it. (I am, of course, speaking of factory, internal turret, installed, not unit add ons. There were lots of those).

You will note that all my above statements are qualified. There is always room for new information, and I would be very happy to see evidence that my (and others) understanding of weapons fitment can be amended!
Also note than when referring to V100s in terms of 30/30 or 30/50 turrets, the term 30 can refer to either the fitment of .30cal or the 7.62mm weapons.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks