• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote AC

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm more interested in the DC compressor than anything. Would be an easy way to add AC to a CUCV and retain the alts.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if there any thing special about the controler like a DC speed control or something.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Compressor would be on/off, just like the clutch pack on a mech compressor. (Yes, flow would change at engine RPM)

ke5eua

So basically they took what was already done on the hybrids and tweaked the controller a little. 9-30vdc in, 3 wire hookup. So basically the controller is an inverter providing a/c to the electric compressor.

I have explored this option for the 818, if it wasn't for the cost I would be all over it. Another option is to get a window unit compressor and have the fittings soldered on it and run a small inverter.

Keith_J

Was considering it but built my own 24 volt DC compressor for a bit less. Surplus motor for $80 plus a $180 compressor and a few other parts. Built the motor compressor coupling from the clutch hub on he compressor, using a Lovejoy coupling.

even the big compressor only draws 31 amps, at 30 volts that is 930 Watts. At a coefficient of performance of 3 which is unheard of, that is still less than 3500 watts of cooling or much less than a ton of refrigeration ( energy absorbed by melting 2000 pounds of ice in 24 hours).

You need at least 1.5 tons in a pickup, 2.5 tons in a Blazer.

Keith_J

Compressor would be on/off, just like the clutch pack on a mech compressor. (Yes, flow would change at engine RPM)
Would be far better to use the inverter as a variable frequency drive to vary the speed of the compressor, much like is done with high efficiency ductless mini splits.

ke5eua

Was considering it but built my own 24 volt DC compressor for a bit less. Surplus motor for $80 plus a $180 compressor and a few other parts. Built the motor compressor coupling from the clutch hub on he compressor, using a Lovejoy coupling.

even the big compressor only draws 31 amps, at 30 volts that is 930 Watts. At a coefficient of performance of 3 which is unheard of, that is still less than 3500 watts of cooling or much less than a ton of refrigeration ( energy absorbed by melting 2000 pounds of ice in 24 hours).

You need at least 1.5 tons in a pickup, 2.5 tons in a Blazer.
Pics please.

badassissimo

How would you manage to keep the alternators?
Once upon a time my steering pump went out and I drove like that for a year in a dying c10... I don't recommend it but that would free up a pulley loop. There'd be a few more parts to trade out but I have electric fans and humvee pulley grooves anyway. All those parts still don't come to 1200 or near. Likewise, if power steering is a big deal, electric power steering pumps work pretty nice. Least ways, my experience with the ones on newer SUVs was nice and got a lot more done than a mechanical one did in my m1009, c10, or even the little toyota camry I daily drive now. Still well under a grand. I could be snowballing on this one but I thought there was a thread about adding another arm for a 3rd alternator. Use that thread to get the compressor rolling?

Then again.. KISS rule could be the "cheaper" route.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yup, Hydroboost runs off the PS pump. Bad juju when it goes out. (Lack of power steering and brakes!)

tim292stro

I am actually planning a DC-aircon, both for the XM1027 project, and the S-250 shelter project.

Those are Tecumseh/MasterFlux DC compressors, and you can get them from other places cheaper than JEGs (that's probably true for most of their products IMHO). Though, for the XM1027, I'm using a pair of compressors to get a little shy of 3-tons of cooling with a 48Volt supply (5kW boost regulator with separate battery pack) - the largest one they have at 12/24V will only do about 6500btu/hr (about half a ton), and will probably have trouble keeping up with freeway driving in the deserts of California, at altitude). I'm also expecting to use a huge alternator to get power to those in the XM1027 - at 2kW max load each with two compressors running, I'd expect a little shy of 150Amps pulled - might as well round that up if I take into account the condenser fans (outside, 24VDC), and evaporator fans (inside, 24VDC).

The requirements for the XM1027 project were more package constrained, I wasn't going to be able to fit factory AC under the hood with the power generation stuff I was doing, and the step from 200Amps to 450Amps didn't actually increase the case size for the alternator so that was a no-brainer (and picking up three 450Amp alternators from CBR-Metalworks here in the classifieds for $160 each made that a done deal).

The S-250 project was wanting a DC compressor that could do both internal air conditioning, as well as freeze the holding plate in the mini-fridge for power and space efficiency

Last edited:

badassissimo

Well.. wouldn't hurt to go electric on the hydro-boost too, would it? Might get some abrupt stops till it's felt out but I can't see why not. The only possible down side I can think of is the rpm on the power-steering pump aiding in steering at high speeds and probably matching stopping force but all of this would be on a chip set anyway.

Then again, KISS rule.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks