• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel personnel heater test

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Setting up to test and gain confidence in the fuel burning heater.
So far I have the blower and pump under control, still need to plumb up the pump to a fuel source.
I like the fact that it can be used as an independent system and produce heat without the engine running....

Attachments

cbvet

Bjorn,
Did you find that the heater needed it's own independent fuel pump? In my reading I found that some of the South Wind heaters have a built-in pump.
If one is needed, what are you using?
I've recently picked up another new one which clearly states multifuel, 30,000 BTU.
One of these days I want to test mine out too.
Thanks,
Eric
CBVET

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CBVET:
I used one of the pumps used to transfer fuel from the right hand tank to the left hand (driver's side) tank on a parts semi tractor. I think any 24 volt electric pump from some supplier like NAPA would work.
Regards Marti

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eric, the pump is called out in the parts manual and shown here.
The heater is the one used in the xm757 and the NSN is 2540-00-113-4180 (model 10530A24).
The blower, pump and igniter all should come on when in start mode.

The pump has a built-in filter but there is also one more in the line.

The controller and heater received from Ryan (Maine) are used in this test and the heater for the xm757 turns out to be the same as used for the M109.

Attachments

cbvet

Thanks for the help!
Does anyone know where I can get the control unit?
The two heaters I have are different models, but essentially the same. Both have the round 6 pin connector.
If I could get one, I could probably copy it for the second heater, once I see what the switches do.
Eric
CBVET

acetomatoco

I may have the new control unit...pm me with the specifics and I will comepare to the one I have for $35...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eric, the control box wiring appear to be the same for the different heaters. The box shown above has extra controls for mechanical shutters to control the air flow from an external blower, which was part of the M109 system.

The diagram is posted below. Note that the box is not grounded or supplied with 24 volts via the connector. Box is grounded via the box itself and 24VDC is supplied with a separate wire.
The "A" pin on the connectors have different functions.
For the control box the "A" goes to the fuel pump.
For the heater unit, the "A" pin goes to ground.

The switch functions are:
3-position toggle switch: Momentary contact for start, center off and run.
2-position toggle switch: High or low heat
Push-to-test lamp: Turns on when fuel is ignited or when pressed to test.

The boxes show up regularily on ebay, don't think of me if you find one, just go for it, I'm in no hurry.

Attachments

cbvet

Thanks Bjorn, Marti, Ace!
Based on what Bjorn & Marti tell me, I should be able to make a controller. I don't need the shutter cables portion.

Ace,
Based on what Bjorn has shown, please check & see whether you have something suitable, hopefully with that 6 pin connector.
Eric
CBVET

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are welcome Eric. Keep us posted on any progress, I hope to fire mine up later today.
You will also need the interconnecting cable with mating connectors. I will have some extras, so let me know your needs when time comes.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sorry no pictures right now but I have an old gas fired heater that came out of a commo shelter. It is in a metal square box and I have never had the guts to fire it off with gasoline. I like the idea of a diesel heater and just before I left I bought a big diesel fired salmander for working out in the cold. I think I have enough planned to keep me busy when I finally get home next year. Thanks for posting this it is really interesting

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. The truck I'm looking at has a fuel fired heater in it. Just what I need here in frigid FL. Now if it was a fuel fired air conditioner.......

Westech

CPL
So the exhaust is not "pumped" in to whatever your heating right? it has a heat exchanger right? I see them on ebay from time to time NIB for 200 ish and trying to deside if thats a good price for the kit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks