• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

diesel on natural gas?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a military diesel, but my 40KW Mankato generator.. When the power frequenctly goes out, it automatically starts. Starts to consume diesel at 1.2 gallons per hour that is.

I have heard of diesels running on propane or natural gas, can canyone explain this and suggest how I might do it? I have plenty of gas here, it works when the electricity goes out, and it would be cheaper if not more convenient.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patric, Try this. Wesport converts the diesel into LNG direct injection. Long...50 hrs worth of work..process, and expensive. But I have run these on the dyno and they work as well as the diesel fired ISX. Same HP, torque and the driveability is nice too.

http://www.westport.com/

I don't think there will be a kit to convert your gen though.

CCATLETT1984

my response would be, if you need 40kw of power when the grid goes down then ~$4 an hour for your power needs isnt expensive at all. If you dont need that kind of capacity, get a smaller genset thats more effecient on fuel.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
At my Army Reserve unit we had two big gensets that had 60 Series Detriots configured to run on natural gas. I talked to the guy that was installing them and he said they had put spark plugs into them the make them fire better.
They were very big units.

NEIOWA

Colemans has been trying to sell one or more large Cummins NG powered gensets for ages. Not sure if DOD surplus.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 40KW is overkill but it was had very cheaply including a Zenith automatic transfer switch. I can only consume about 12KW continuous max, but the starting loads are higher for the a/c's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks