• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thoughts on Front Locker Install Procedure

spicergear

So I take it that you're all with me and hate doing brake work...of nearly any kind? I was thinking that this may help someone not have to deal with that if they were to put in a front locker. I've done a bunch of work on Rockwells now and Deuce trucks and think I've got an idea that will make sense.
This would be my procedure for locking up the front and removing the axle.

-Drain the OIL.

-Jack up the truck and put jackstands under the frame, behind front springs, to suspend front axle.

-Take off four bolts from driveshaft...very tight 3/4".

-Pull off front wheels, drive flanges, hubs, and spindles.

-Take hand maul and whack the backing plates a couple of times and then CAREFULLY pull them out until they clear the outer shaft then hang them from the fender with a rubber trap or something. **This way the brakes have NOT been unhooked or cracked and no bleeding will need to be done.

-Put a pair of floor jacks under the front axle and undo U-bolts.

-Drop axle, roll out from under truck...use caution as it EXTREMELY top heavy with the 215# chunk.

-Pull axles out enough to clear chunk when it comes out.

-Do what you need to on bench or floor to install locker.

-Then...go in reverse order.

As soon as the spindle comes off there should be plenty of room to pull of the backing plate and with the axle U-joint there it should be easy to get the plate off the axle and have the axle assy by itself.
[thumbzup]

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got mine apart right now. I did just that. my backing plates a laying on the leaf springs as we speak. they slid over the spindles with no problem.

spicergear

Good deal! Did you take the differential out of the rest of the chunk yet? I always put a punch mark on one cap and it's correxponding seat so that I'll be sure they're going back on the correct side. I also put a punch mark on the cap and one on the threaded side loading thing with all the raised casting teeth on it. What ever the hell they're called. I set them up ONE tit less then they were originally...but most of the Rockwells I do are for lighter trucks too. It just feels wicked tight otherwise...but that's just me. Do what you want.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I've got it back together, I did'nt install a locker though. I just replaced bearings, seals. kig pin bushings and spindle bushings. There was no problem with leaving the backing plates on the leaf springs for a week. I'll put a locker in the middle axle when i find a dropside bed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks