• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our ATV Collection

Madmedic

I've had some questions about the ATV's we have listed in our profile/Signature, so as promised, here is a thread with picts. We have a 1984 Yamaha Moto 4, a U.S. Dept of Homeland Security Polaris 500, 2 M-Gators, & a trailer, that came with the one of the M-Gators.

THE MOTO 4:

When I was stationed with units at both Ft. Bragg and Ft. Benning, we were experimenting with 4 wheelers for various tactical applications. The two types "I" remember, were Yamaha Moto 4's and Yamaha Big Bears.

These appeared to be off the shelf purchases, as they had gasoline engines, and in civilian colors, which we over painted either solid O.D. or in Camouflage Patterns. My Moto 4 was purchased from DRMO Ft. Bragg in 1989, and for all I know could have been one I actually used. (hope so).

Next post, picts etc of MOTO 4

Last edited:

Madmedic

Picts of MOTO 4:

As this was the 1st 4 wheeler I had to take hunting, I made some modifications. Some mods, like the rinky dinky Snorkel were done by the military. I have started taking mods off, and restoring it to exactly how it was in the 80's. But we still use it for hunting too. So some mods like the gas cans are staying, (4 now).

We used many different types of packs, bags, and pouches. We attached them ANYWHERE they would fit. We didn't have access to the commercial packs and bags etc used on 4 wheelers today. If you look at other picts of 4 wheelers from Afghanistan and Iraq, you will see the tradition continues.

Back then Old Buttpacks, and SAW pouches were very popular. Old pieces of pistol belt were bolted on to hang heavier items that had ALICE clips on them. Zip Ties and 550 cord were used to secure most items

IMG_0740.jpgIMG_0640.jpgIMG_0639.jpgIMG_0169.jpgIMG_0627.jpgIMG_0736.jpgIMG_0738.jpgIMG_0739.jpg

Last edited:

Madmedic

2010 DHS POLARIS:

2010 Polaris 500 4 wheeler. Originally owned by a senior Homeland Security Official. Was used by this person in his official duties, both when working with Border Patrol and working with FEMA and other DHS Agencies in Disasters. He wanted his own, with his own equipment, not whatever was available.

I purchased it after he retired. Originally it had Police Woo Woo Lights on it, and a Hard Box storage box on the back with Homeland Security and Police Markings on it. All that was removed, but I chose to leave the DHS Decals on it. I replaced the hard box with a soft bag storage system. Originally it had a Government multi-band radio on it, I have set it up with a C.B. instead. The gas cans, water cans, winch, etc were all on it when purchased.

In the 1st picture, you can see the TRUE owner of our ATV Collection.

IMG_0631.jpgIMG_0401.jpgIMG_0635.jpgIMG_0638.jpgIMG_0641.jpg

Madmedic

Workin on it. Will probably be tomorrow or saturday.

The "USMC" Garrison Gator is restored, the Army Gator is not. Trailer is restored. Army Gator and trailer came from the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Div, Ft. Polk. Both had markings matching them to each other when we got them. It was clear that something had been mounted into the bed of the Gator, so I called their Public Information Office and asked. I was told that "some" of their Gators had crew served weapons mounted into the bed on pedestal mounts.

The weapons were .50 M2's, SAWS, etc. ALSO some had Soviet Era Recoilles Rifles. The trailer I described to them, they stated was used to carry spare ammo. Also, they said these weaponized gators were used ONLY at the Forward Support/Fire Bases. They were NOT taken outside the perimeter.

I asked if THEY had any pictures available and was told no. The ONLY picture I can currently find on the Innerwebs, is show in a seperate thread, showing a U.S. Special Forces Team, in Afghanistan, with a 6 wheel Polaris, and a Recoilless Rifle mounted in the bed. If anyone has other picts of Up-Armed Gators, would love to see them.

Madmedic

The USMC GATOR:

We call this one the USMC Gator because it came from the left coast, and when purchased, it was painted in a USMC Green with a camo paint job on top of that. The Roll Bar was only partially painted, so I think it was added at some later time. We had to replace the seats, the front hood plastic piece, 1 plastic fender, the plastic dash board, the clutches, solenoids for the bed controller, new tires, batteries, and little switches and relays.

When putting it back together again, we decided to go with just a flat USMC O.D. Color. The Garrison lights on the roll bar are all functional, except for missing one of the yellow LED's on the passenger side. We "could" have purchased a whole new kit from John Deere for $500.00....... we declined. Our local John Deere Dealer is probably going to be able send one of his kids to college off of what we've been spending on parts.

When we got the Gator, there were NO markings on it of any kind. However, we restored this one with the specific intent of making a long term loan of it, to a very close friend of ours. He is VERY active in the Militaria, Military Vehicle, and Re-Enacting community here in our area. Currently he's been using a less than optimal golf cart to get around events etc, because he's 72 years old. The Decals we put on the Gator are for him.

IMG_0761.jpgIMG_0762.jpgIMG_0763.jpgIMG_0765.jpgIMG_0753.jpgIMG_0754.jpgIMG_0756.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Madmedic

Back to the thoughts on Up-Gunning an M-Gator. I have found one other picture of an M-Gator (probably in Afghanistan) which has been armed with a Russian Weapon.

gun-gator.jpg

Madmedic

AMMO TRAILER:

As stated before, this trailer, and our "ARMY" M-Gator, were purchased at the same time, from DRMO Ft. Polk, and were marked as having come from the 4th Brigade Combat Team.

When purchased, the trailer was a combination of Rust, O.D. and Brown. You can see that the hitch is not a clevis ring. The Army Gator had it's clevis hook mounted on the front, and a hook up similar to the Polaris on the back, which would hook up to this trailer.

The Rear Axle, Tires, and wheels are NOT original. Original Wheels/Rims, were "Split" Rims, and tires were made in Europe. Welllllll, NOOOO BODY around here would touch them. Wound up having the entire axle replaced and U.S. Commercial ATV Wheels and rims put on it. Gas Can Racks were on trailer when purchased. We have not yet re-marked trailer, as we plan to do that AFTER we have restored the Gator.

When Talking to the PIO at Ft. Polk on this subject, he let slip, that they also used BRITISH trailers made specifically for use with ATVS. (evidently there was some midnight acquisitions made, or trades accomplished).

I've also included a picture of an interesting trailer that was sold on Iron Planet Last week. DON'T KNOW FOR SURE, but to me, it looks like it was made for use with ATV's, since it is so low slung

IMG_0262.jpgIMG_0263.jpgIMG_0648.jpgIMG_0649.jpgIMG_0650.jpg

Madmedic

Found 2 more interesting picts of ATV's with Trailers. #1 is an Early Style M-Gator, pulling a large tandem axle flat bed trailer of some kind. The second, is a picture of two members from the 6th Civil Support Team (CST) out of Camp Mabry, Austin, in full NBC Protective Gear. This picture is from a training exercise at Camp Mabry. The Civil Support teams around the U.S. specifically assigned to assist local emergency management in a NBC Event, use basic 4 wheelers, and M-Gators modified for pre-mounted detection and analyzing equipment.

ParaGator2.gif6th CST.jpg

Madmedic

We put all our other projects on hold while we got the "Marine" Gator project finished for our friend. The "ARMY" Gator, is currently in parts, waiting on replacement parts from John Deere to Arrive. Next week, we're hoping to get the M1010 Ambulance to the AC Shop, and then into the paint shop. Then we'll be putting the "Army" Gator back together again. (assuming the parts have come in)

"Turnkey",,,, it all depends. Used Civilian 4 Wheelers/ATV's, will usually have low miles and hours on them, and purchase price is definitely lower than buying new. Used MILITARY 4 Wheelers/ATVS, are going to be well used, with high Hours. BUT they are military. And the fun is in owning something that not many other people have.

As with anything else, if your not careful, the extras, can wind up costing you more than the vehicle. Kind of like the guys you see at the Rifle Range, with a $500.00 basic model AR-15, and $2,000.00 worth of scopes, lasers, etc.

Last edited:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In your signature at the bottom page, it said "garrison" M gator. What does the Garrison mean?

B3.3T

The term garrison indicates on the base, as opposed to in the field. It never leaves the base.

Madmedic

B3.3T is Correct.

The U.S. Military has broken down the M-Gator family, into further subsets than just A1, A2, A3. M-Gators are/were used in Iraq and Afghanistan with and without the steel roll bar, seen on our "USMC" Garrison M-Gator. However, M-Gators with that roll bar, AND the yellow LED Lights on the front, Red/White LED Lights on the back, and Yellow Strobe Light at the apex of the roll bar, were intended to be used ONLY on military bases in a non-combat role. So, it will be a safe assumption that any M-Gator purchased through GSA or DRMO that is equipped with those lights, never was shipped overseas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks