• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I "HATE" John Deere!!!!

Madmedic

OR.. with the kids today,,, WE'RE IN TROUBLE!!:

I know. other generations have said that. But THIS time it's true.

Working on the "ARMY" Gator. DRMO sed it was a 2009. NOPE. Took Vin info to dealership, start ordering parts from pimply faced bubble gum chewing Royal Prince of Dorkdom, and he tells me the VIN # is coming up as a 2004/2005. Ok. Fine, what difference can a few years make?? (dumbass me,,,, A LOT)

So off to the races we go, ordering parts. Sommmmme parts work, MOST don't. So after two rounds of getting the wrong parts, wrong colors (ME: "too early for the sand colored plastic parts YOUR HIGHNESS", HIS RESPONSE "but 'duhhhh" that's what the computer sez!!)

FINALLY had to load most of the Gator onto a trailer, TAKE IT DOWN to the dealership, let the OWNER take a picture of the vin number and SEND IT TO JOHN DEERE. And guesssss what????

It's a 2000 year model. Made in December 2000!!!!

(yes, I am nearly bald now, and the ulcers have come back)

So here's a couple of picts of engine compartment, and blackout lights, from when I put it on the trailer:
IMG_0772.jpg
IMG_0776.jpg
IMG_0771.jpgIMG_0769.jpgIMG_0773.jpgIMG_0774.jpg

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, most kids today have no clue unless the computer spoon-feeds it to them. That's why I've sought out & found a few places around town where they have live human beings who aren't afraid to break out a printed catalog, in the rare instance they don't have the part & location memorized (which they do about 90% of the time).

I understand your frustration.

Rmtaunton

Yep me to is it sad when your not a mechanic as a trade and still all the auto stores know you by name

Btw I don't think the early gators were made by John Deere

Madmedic

Wellllllllll,,,,,,,,

This one might have had parts etc made by a contractor, or sumtin, butttt, Veeee Hickle sez John Deere, Engine Sez John Deere, VIN # data has finally been corrected in computer system from John Deere HQ and dey say John Deere.

Soooo, HOPEFULLY the Royal Boil on my arse (whups, I mean the Nice Sweet Counter Boy) will be able to order any future parts that we find we need, without problems. (not holding my breath)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If the owner of the store had to send a pic of it(vin) to JD, sounds like the issue isn't with "scooter". Sounds like your being an ASS to a kid making $10 an hr(hes only as good as his training). Maybe you should aim that elsewhere.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably has to do with the M-Gator not being a commercial item and them not having proper access to the parts data. I am not real familiar with John Deere parts support because all my JD equipment NEVER BREAKS DOWN!!!!

greenjeepster

Now days you gotta know your stuff when it comes to this stuff. I recently had a similar situation at the local west marine. Drove 30 miles to pickup what should be a stock item... gave the make, model and year of my boat and the kid at the counter does a little clicking on the computer and says we don't have that... we can order it, but it is $459.99... I am like, "no, it should be about 100 bucks".. She says no, that is a special order item and cost more...

So I leave, drive home, get on the computer and look up the part number.... Jump on west marine's website and search the part number... surprise surprise it is in stock in the store I was just at and cost 109.00....

Totally my fault, should have done the homework before I drove all the way down there.

Madmedic

I know it seems like I'm directing my angst at the Counter Boy, and blaming him for Deere's problems. And in all honesty, you're right, to a certain extent.

However, the angst and problems started with him. In saying that, I mean that he at 16 was already set into a mind set, of "I can only go by what the computer tells me". Instead of trying to think for himself, and when there was a contradiction between what I was showing him as a part number (correctly) vs what his computer was telling him. Most of those problems occured with the restoration of our 1st M-Gator. Other problems, such as ordering the wrong color of hard plastic body parts and paint, again, fall directly at his feet, for not paying attention to detail. (He wrote PAYED in FULL on the receipt. I kid you not)

However, the mis-identification of year & the VIN number was clearly not his fault. Which is why when the owner overheard our conversations, and my growing frustration, he stepped in.

turnkey

Like going to a grocery store and buying some milk ...If it doesn't go ding....they don't know what to do.....Ya lets pay these people 15 bucks a hour for nothing....as it being said dumb at 9 bucks a hour...just as dumb at 15 bucks a hour...go to JD site and run the numbers.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recently I acquired some used tools from an estate sale, one of the items I was really interested in was an Ingersoll-Rand 3/4-inch drive impact gun in very good condition. It was old, but very usable, just had to replace the trigger as it was broken off.

I went to Discount Air Tool Repair in North Las Vegas (Losee Road, if you're in town) as they were listed as the local IR parts supplier. When I went inside, 2 older ladies were the only employees around and initially struck me as barely knowing anything. But as soon as I showed them my impact gun, they started telling me the probable history of it and how they were amazed that anyone even has one of these around anymore. One kept telling me the history of IR impact tools while the other went in the back to quickly retrieve 2 probable matches for the trigger. One was very close (and did work with just a little bit of filing to the back of it). Very impressive!

Here I assume that if my impact gun is obsolete & not carried in their computer inventory, I'll probably be out of luck...yet these ladies proved to be very sharp cookies and they know tools. They've got all my repeat business as long as they stay open.

Don't always judge a book by its cover, so to speak. :doh:

gimpyrobb

Is it a 261? I have one I got at a barn sale cheap and does it ever run! I have a TM in pdf if you want it.

Dave M38A1

Have the same problem ordering parts. The NAPA store will get out the books, but Advance Auto and others, I have to pick the counter guys that I let wait on me. That's the great thing about the forums, I get the part numbers listed on the forums and BAM! there it is and the number worked. I have had to do a lot of the research for them to find the parts for a not to old 1981 Toyota truck and take in the number.

Frustrating, i know, but you have to just go at it from another angle. I'm always amazed when a young counter person looks in the books and follows up, trying to find the part. Some don't care, some haven't been trained and a few try to learn.

Dave

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went into NAPA a few weeks ago and said do you have a nut that will fit this bolt?

He looks at it and says yes, it is an idler pulley bolt for a serpentine belt system. 10mmx1.5 pitch.

Good start.

I said but you can you tell me what car it goes on? He couldn't but Advance or Oreilly's or the rest would have had the deer in the LED headlight look.

(BTW, the Jaguar 4.2L.)

KansasBobcat

Regarding John Deere...I still remember going to local dealer to inquire about buying an M Gator OR the closest civilian model I could modify. They were no help and did not even do any computer research. Bought a Polaris!

Madmedic

Is it a 261? I have one I got at a barn sale cheap and does it ever run! I have a TM in pdf if you want it.
Thanks for the offer.

While I'm good with working with body issues, electrical, painting....... I yield to others with higher intellect and actual Mek a Nek Skills for the engine work. My go to guy for that, has all the John Deere, (and Honda, Polaris, Sno-Cat, etc etc etc) shop manuals from 1980 on.

For those who are DIGITAL??? These are called boooooks, they are made of PAAAAAAPER. We had to chop down Treeeees to get them. (sorry just got off the phone with someone in Portland Oregon.)

Anyway, that was part of the problem when dealing with skippy over at the John Deere Dealership. We're standing there WITH THE BOOKS showing him the exact parts with parts numbers we want, and even then he would wind up ordering the wrong parts. Again, to be fair, he was dealing with the computer. But when THE COMPUTER was wrong, he couldn't think for himself. Like to call John Deere and try to resolve the issue, as we suggested multiple, multiple times.

And Greenjeepster?? What is even MORE scary than him and his buds being in the military in a few years?? Them working in our HEALTHCARE SYSTEM in a few years. At least in the Military, there are Drill Instructors to knock some sense into them.... hopefully.

gimpyrobb

Sorry Madmedic, I was asking about the IR impact gun(261). I have no info to share on the MV Gator(my mistake).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks