• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which form of tow lights do you prefer?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen two different types lights used with towing.

1. This tow light fashion which seems to be the most common and/or standard military item:
tow_light_bar.jpg

2. Composite tail lights on large magnets (not sure how the lights were attached to the magnets and I've only seen them for sale once and I couldn't find any pictures recently). I assume it was "DIY" mod.

I have owned neither and would appreciate your input on them (or other kinds!) as this is part of my research before likely buying a set.

Which style would you want, and why? I can imagine the magnetic lights having the widest array of uses on whatever your MV is towing where a big/flat rear-end isn't present to strap the above #1 tow light setup to, however the #1 option would be more visible with the extra marker lights but also larger, bulkier to store.

Thank you very much!

painter paul

Google AW Direct or TrucknTow to find a dazzling array of tow lights. The wireless are marvelous but more money. Technically the side lights and the 3 center DOT marker lights are probably required but I have never heard of any one getting a ticket for not having them. Most of our military trucks and trailers don't have the 3 marker lights and they are required on vehicles over 80" wide.
There are also neat ways they show to hook up lights on both magnetic and nonmagnetic surfaces. Want to go cheap?----- go to a big truck dealership and they might give you some of the ones made out of a 2x2" piece of wood with the lights wired to it that they get in with new trucks that are towed in. My friend got a whole pickup box full of them given to him.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Google AW Direct or TrucknTow to find a dazzling array of tow lights. The wireless are marvelous but more money. Technically the side lights and the 3 center DOT marker lights are probably required but I have never heard of any one getting a ticket for not having them. Most of our military trucks and trailers don't have the 3 marker lights and they are required on vehicles over 80" wide.
There are also neat ways they show to hook up lights on both magnetic and nonmagnetic surfaces. Want to go cheap?----- go to a big truck dealership and they might give you some of the ones made out of a 2x2" piece of wood with the lights wired to it that they get in with new trucks that are towed in. My friend got a whole pickup box full of them given to him.
The problem with commercial places is I'd have to make my own electrical and cable adapter (at best). That is... less desirable to me.

Katahdin

I was impressed with the visibility of the magnetic Harbor Freight 12v LED tow lights I used last week. I had already wired my [tow] truck for a 12v trailer so the solution was easy and cheap. I just had to make an extension cord out of 14 gauge underground rated romex wire I had lying around. Not as cool as real military tow lights, but it got the job done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FFkLKw55Dg

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I'd planned on...

I got a frame mount adapter from xm381.com and while I would love to have the military version with all the lights, the costs I've seen them sell for + the cable costs make it a hard justification for what I hope will be a rare use item. So I'll get a set of magnetic lights since I have civ trailer capability already.

I'll also likely make up a painted piece of wood like:
rm-770-2_2_1000.jpg
and have a way to bungie it onto the back of a truck.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I'd planned on...

I got a frame mount adapter from xm381.com and while I would love to have the military version with all the lights, the costs I've seen them sell for + the cable costs make it a hard justification for what I hope will be a rare use item. So I'll get a set of magnetic lights since I have civ trailer capability already.

I'll also likely make up a painted piece of wood like:
View attachment 570554
and have a way to bungie it onto the back of a truck.
I like that mounted plug xm381.com, that's very nice! Have to buy one for both trucks (eventually). Hmmmm ;)

Also, I think the extra sign/notification is excellent. I've seen a few others do similar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks