• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nothing going on...

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son was using the M882 to haul debris to a brush pile on my boss's farm.

Actually buried it like this in reverse :freaked: the night before these pics were taken after the water level dropped about 8inches and after quite a bit of shoveling.
The truck had made it through the nasty slop and reached untilled ground then suddenly stopped & dug straight down. digging revealed a set of busted up leaf springs had been buried years ago and when the front axle found them the truck quit moving. after plenty of digging the M882 drove out. [^]

McGuyver

Yikes! Can't say I've ever had my M880 that badly stuck. Did get "temporarily delayed" in some deep snow once up a nearby canyon though. I recall I got out with the help of a jeep that was driving by. :blush:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yanno, I'm thinking of getting another M880. I have this cute little S-318 shelter that my son and I use for camping here & there. A permanent home in the back of an M880 sounds appealing. Yikes, what will I tell the wife? Motorhome?

brokengun

I reckon there's significant difference between driving in old ruts vs plowed ground. I've been amazed at just how much axle the M880 can drag on the ground and still move ahead, provided there isn't much material piled up in front of the wheels. Had to resort to tire chains to fetch out that last load of firewood though.

The M880 really doesn't get, in print, the respect it deserves. I've never heard of one breaking an axle shaft while backing into a suburban garage, for example. Nor must one shift into low range prior to using reverse gear. As far as collectability, no one valued an 1861 Springfield in 1881, but look at 'em today.

Pull her back into "lock"!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, the M880 is a well kept secret. Easy to work on, get parts for and its still military. Add PS and youve got a fantastic daily driver that can get the job done. Arguably the best bargain in the MV world. ( for now)

brokengun

I took the M880 in for a set of GY Workhorses; technician climbs in and begins to move it into the shop and tells me that my power-steerin' aint workin'. I told him the PS got out when I did. The M880 is great for the upper body development. Was a lot of effort at first but now I no longer notice.
The wiring though, could use much improvement.

tx.fireman1525

These M880's are great trucks! My fire dept. has one. We got it without a motor, so we just threw a 440 in there! This is probly the best truck around here in the mud, i have onlt seen it struck twice.

Are these things locked front and rear?

McGuyver

Nope, no lockers, but the one in the center differential in the transfer case. Front and rear differentials are open.

brokengun

Correct me if I'm mistaken; with the M880, when I jack up a rear wheel it can not be rotated unless the other side is off the ground as well. On the always stuck trucks we have here, those with positive slip, limited traction rears, if one wheel alone is up off the ground it can be turned.
Does this not indicate a limited slip differential on the M880?
The front axle does not act this way.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you jack up one wheel and the other is still on the ground, it won't turn unless the transmission or tranfer case is in neutral. Now, if the transfer or trans is in neutral and the whell still won't turn in either direction, them it might have welded spiders or a spool ( none of which came from the military). Even if it had a Detroit Locker installed and was in neutral, it will still spin in one direction but you will hear a ratcheting sound. If it has a real tight friction type posi like the Powrlock, it might require some effort to turn but can be turned. Spring for a gasket and a few qts of gear oil and have a looksee. Now as far as high loc and low lock, those are transfer case functions. The NP 203 case has a differential within that allows the front and rear axles to travel at different speeds. Just like an ope rear end once a front or rear loses traction or is jacked up, you can't move. The loc function locks both front and rear axles together to elimiate this. Just remember this posotion is to be used for off road and slippery surfaces only. Use on hard ground gives adverse handling and possible parts breakage.

McGuyver

I'll second what Recovery4x4 has said, and I'll add that you 've should also remember that these M880's are equiped (just like many `70's trucks) with full time four wheel drive. This means you are ALWAYS in four wheel drive. In order to handle this on the pavement, the NP203 transfer case has a differential inside it to allow the front and rear drive shafts to turn at different rates, such as when you are going around a corner. The LOC function in hi and low range acts as a mechanical locker for this transfer case differential only. When locked, the TC acts exactly like a part time TC where the front and rear drive shafts rotate at the same rate. This is why it is a bad thing to drive it on hard surfaces with the TC in either of the locked positions, since you will gete tire scrubbing and drive lines binding, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks