• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Testing the alternator on the deuce

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a small current leak that is draining the batteries on the non-winch truck. Someone at Gilbert said I should test the alternator first, to see if the diode is the problem. He told me there was an easy test with a multimeter to check this diode problem. Can anyone shed some light on the test he is talking about, and how to do it?

TacticalTruck

Disconnect the ground cable from the battery and connect a test light between the cable and the negative post. It should glow from the drain. Start disconnecting stuff until the light goes out and there you have it. Whatever makes the light go out is the drain.
Jeff

acetomatoco

Are you leaving your dash lights on? Ya gotta remember to shut the master light switch off as part of your shutdown sequence.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this current supposed to be happening to the regulator? It would seem to me that when the truck is off, and all the switches are off, there should be NO current drain from anything. This is where the first post comes into play with what the man at Gilbert show told me. That there shouldn't be any drain, but due to a faulty diode in the alternator, it does drain....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the current is very small, less than 10 mA, it is a circuit that senses the presence of batteries and also a capacitor, that may leak, more if faulty.
Not enough to drain the batteries in months....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks