• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 ? will not start/charge batteries

greentractors

Gentlemen,
I just now found your site and so glad that I did. :D If anyone can help I am sure you can.

I am not familiar with any of these vehicles, :? but I am familiar with regular automotive/truck electrical systems and general mechanical repairs to said vehicles
Now onto my reason for being here tonight...

A friend just called me about his neighbors MV. Best we can determine from what he was telling me, and me looking at the pics posted here, it is a Chevy M1009 or similar. ( yeah, I know, nothing is similar when dealing with some of this stuff, it only LOOKS similar)

His problems are multi-fold. First he can not keep his batteries charged and has bought a few over the last couple of years. His alternator light ( number 1 best I recall) comes on when you rev the engine but at idle it remains out. His V belt is too long and my friend tightened it up for him yet it seemed to make no difference. I am thinking voltage regulator(s) but this is only a guess. Are they internal to the alternator like most Delco's or are they separate because of the 24 volt system? :?:

Jumping the vehicle did allow it to start and run......for a while...but the last time they started it, it died after running a few seconds and has not run since. It will turn over but not start.

Friend said the neighbor had a mechanic work on it some time ago and he kept it at his garage for several months. He told me that the mechanic put a new solenoid switch for the "starter" on the firewall. Said it looked like your typical Ford 4 post solenoid. Being familiar with typical GM vehicles I figured that was not for the starter but did not really know what it might be for. My research here has told me that is the relay for the glow plugs. But we will cross that wire when we get to it.

I am thinking he just needs to fork up the money for a new alternator or 2. I would be willing to bet these are 24 volt, but if not, then any quality re-manufactured unit should work.

As far as not starting now, I think he has an electrical issue with solenoids, temp sensors, or control card under the dash. If the control card/temp sensor issue can be resolved with a simple push button switch and a little careful monitoring of the gages, I am all for it. If this won't work I guess we are in for the long haul back to the parts store.

As you can tell by now we have multiple issues going on with this thing. But I do feel it can all be taken care of by trouble shooting the charging system and repairing whatever we find there.

Any tips, advise, checks, warnings, curses that need to be lifted or placed, I need to be aware of would be so gratefully appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance guys,
Jerry Benham
Greenville, Ky

PS. may not be the place to post this ......BUT....... Howard Hammonds Junk Yard is being cleared out of all his old military trucks, equipment and surplus. (and there were tons and tons and acres and acres of stuff) If you think you might want or need anything you had best make a trip soon. It is not being auctioned off....it is being cut up for scrap and hauled away on a daily basis. It is going cheap.... and the son-in-law doing the scraping doesn't care about anything but clearing the acres and acres of stuff....he ain't really into answering the phone and quoting a price and availability if you know what I mean.

jwaller

I am finally first. hahaha. put your location in your sig..... it's a site thing. sorry I dont have anything useful to offer. I've only got a 2.5T and a 5T.

somebody will help you though.

far as I can remember you have 2 batt's and 2 alternators on this vehicle. both are separate.

the only thing on the truck thats 24V is the starter. everything else is 12. I'm sure I could be wrong but time will tell. you have to have the batts charged for your alternators to worl right.

so first charge the batt's and then see if it will charge on a full set of batts. if not then you have a alternator problem or problems.

Michael

Welcome to the site. You have many questions, most of which have been answered many times before. The charging and the glow plugs are the two main trouble areas of these trucks. I would recommend reading back through the CUCV threads and get the manuals off of the site.

CUCV's do have a starter relay. It is an undersized relay under the dash. Some people do delete this and put a ford relay on the firewall. The glow plug relay is next to the master cylinder. I posted a link to some pictures of the three different styles commonly seen recently.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks