• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new or NOS m37 gas tank or substitute

yorkgulch2

I pulled my m37 gas tank yesterday to clean it and it is so rusty and has been patched so many times I decided I need to replace it.
I checked my vpw catalog and they don't list a replacement tank. Does anyone else make one? It does not have to be stock as the rest of the drive train was significantly modified before I got it. I use it quite a bit so don't want to try to seal the one I have
The penny patches are holding up pretty well but the other 13 patches are starting to rust through around the patches!!

yorkgulch2

Bjorn,
I will try locating a Izuzu Trooper tank, thanks. Most junk yards in Colorado don't want to sell you a used anymore. Is that the same in other states?

M-37Bruce

Re: RE: new or NOS m37 gas tank or substitute

deloit said:
I've also heard people using a tank from an S-10 truck fits also. They should be common to find in the junk yards.
Word has it that the s-10 is almost a perfect fit, right down to the sender location? The fill neck might need some adjustment?
My 2 Cents,

m376x6

Re: RE: new or NOS m37 gas tank or substitute

yorkgulch2 said:
If you run a 12v fuel level sender in the tank unit in the gas tank to the 24v gas gauge (12 volt truck) will the gauge read 50%??
More than likely it won't read at all and if you get the wrong sender it stands a very good chance of damaging your gauge. The gauges depend on sender resistance ranges from empty to full rather than on voltages. There are many many different resistance ranges in use and gauges that use them. The military long ago when laying out the groundwork for the M series decided to use custom ranges and values for their senders and so forth to keep folks from taking the stuff to use it on their tractor or stationwagon at home. Fuel tank senders for the standard M series gauges run a nominal 2 to 24 ohms. GM had at one time used a 0 to 30 sender but they are extinct and I don't remember if they were backwards from the military senders, 0 to 30 or 30 to 0 . An option might be to cut out the area of your present military sender and solder it into place on your replacement tank. Pull N Save costs a dollar to get in and Colorado Auto Parts is free, you might roam around with a tape measure and write down some notes on what might be the best vehicle or vehicles for your donor tank. Come on Craig, do some grunt work for us.

Regards,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks