• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Back up beeper for a larger MVs.

CUCVLOVER

I know they are annoying but a back up beeper can save a life.

Everyone sees people walking in parking lots with their face stuck in the cell phone. They might not see that 13k lbs duece rolling towards them, but a beeper they might hear.
I don't have a deuce or other large MV but a beeper might let the people not paying attention know what's happening. If you can't see someone behind the truck you might smash them.

Also if you want to you could hook the buzzer to a switch to where, you could turn it off when not needed.

Hope this helps someone

Last edited:

jw4x4

I have one on my M932. And yes it is on a switch so I have the option of only using it when desired. It is an Auto Ranging alarm, which means it gets louder as the background noise increases. I also have some very bright LED lights mounted on the rear. This helps get the attention of the ear bud wearers.

gunboy1656

Most people are so lost in themselves they would never hear any horn. Where I work I see all different styles of backing alarms from the beepers to drivers hitting their horns before backing and people just don't care.

Just driving one day I was making a turn a woman had a stop I judged I had time to pull out across the double yellow. This woman rushed the intersection, when her head got near the front of my truck I hit the horn and she never flinched.

Anything short of a ground guide is not really going to help much. all alarms get redundant where people don't really pay much attention to them. When I go somewhere I try and park where I don't have to do much backing.

quickfarms

I was at a massive commercial working truck show recently. It was funny that trucks were playing musical chairs all day long. 18 wheelers were backing down the isles to let other trucks get out. The interesting thing is other drivers were more than willing to spot the trucks backing up but I did not hear one backup alarm all day. I repeat No Back Up Alarms

saddamsnightmare

September 28th, 2015.

I do believe that the deuce and five tons do have something on them called an "Air Horn". Use it for backing, they will hear it. A locomotive air horn would work also, but they are not legal for use on the highways in most states, and the smallest takes a 1/2"ID air line and will drain your reservoirs very, very quickly. A locomotive compressor is usually rated at 270+ CF per minute output, a deuce, not so high.

oboyjohn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Up here in Canada, we are taught in the military to always park in such a way (when ever possible) that you do not have to back out of a parking spot. This includes being in the field or on civvy street. Driving foreward out of a parking situation is almost always safer than backing out. When ever I had to park a military vehicle in a parking lot (Walmart, Canadian tire, etc...) I would look for an area farthest from the front door of the store. 99-100% of the time there is no one else anywhere near me. My 2 cents.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I propose that some of the women at Walmart have these installed on their person. This too could save a life or at least a close encounter with crack.

joshuak

A previous owner of my truck had the same idea as cucvlover. It was really well hidden, not hooked up then and not on truck anymore.

IMG_0586.jpg
It took me a web search to figure out what it was, before that, I thought I had discovered The Little Black Box I'm being tracked with:tin hat:... LOL.

Mercunimog404

Banned
Up here in Canada, we are taught in the military to always park in such a way (when ever possible) that you do not have to back out of a parking spot. This includes being in the field or on civvy street. Driving foreward out of a parking situation is almost always safer than backing out. When ever I had to park a military vehicle in a parking lot (Walmart, Canadian tire, etc...) I would look for an area farthest from the front door of the store. 99-100% of the time there is no one else anywhere near me. My 2 cents.
Same thing here. It's called combat parking.

country

Supporting Vendor
We have 24 backup alarms and lights and also stock a full back up alarm kit

dave
www.easternsurplus.net

(COM-3203) Back up light for common application. 12 to 24 volt. NOS Take-offs from unissued MRAPs. NSN 6220-01-375-3530. PN 12378501. $21 each
(COM-3202) Back-up alarm for Common application. 12 to 24 volt. NOS Take offs from unissued MRAPs. NSN 6350-01-319-9161. PN MRP21129. $19 each
(ALL-5114) Back up alarm kit- will fit any truck- set-up for 24 volt- $185

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually have my 5 ton at many scout events. Wiring in a presure switch to the Allison and adding an alarm and lights to my mud flaps was an easy mod. One of the first things I did. Mine is always "hot" by the pressure switch when in reverse.
It does the job and I at least feel better.

Anyone with a M939, can look on my build for 5 ton specifics major zippidy

saddamsnightmare

September 30th, 2015.

CUCVlover:

I believe that my deuce and a half also had a sticker on the drivers rearview mirror, something about "Post Guard (or Guide) when Backing Truck". If you combat park the truck so you can always move forward on departure, you have much less chance of running over that little guy from ISIS sneaking up behind you. It's a lot harder to behead a truck driver going forward through the gears then one backing up.....:shock:

Do what you have to do, but if you have to back with an M105 trailer or artillery piece in tow, they won't see your backing lights anyway (but they will see your artillery piece, I am pretty sure)!:jumpin:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A locomotive air horn would work also, but they are not legal for use on the highways in most states, and the smallest takes a 1/2"ID air line and will drain your reservoirs very, very quickly. A locomotive compressor is usually rated at 270+ CF per minute output, a deuce, not so high.
The Nathan P3 in my M818 is plumbed with 1/2" directly from an 8.5 gal. wet tank through a Graham-White metering valve. I can blow a very deliberate grade crossing (Two longs, one short, one long) and the needle barely budges. And, I have full air brakes also.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks