• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won't go Up Hill

carmen

"Won't go up hill"

OK I give up and I need help. My stock M37 has been acting up lately. It seems that it wanted to stall and it seemed that it was not getting gas. Here is what I have done these pass 2 months, thinkng that I would have solved the problem.
1. Removed my gas tank and had it cleaned out.

2. Sealed the inside with (?) I can't rememeber the name, but it was the brand that Charles used. Great stuff.

3. Put a in-line NAPA Spin fuel filter between the tank and fuel pump. It is mounted on the inside rail.

4. Flushed out all the fuel lines.

5. Cleaned the jet line - the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb out. Nothing in it.

Thinking that I solved the problem I took it for a ride. It started up and run like a top. Took it out side on the highway on the flat and I was passing cars. But once I came to a little incline It started to putter. I was able to prevent it from stalling and made it back to the garage.

So. This is what else I did.

1. Bought a can of carb cleaner and stuck the nose in and a lot of muck came out.

Went for another ride same problem, back to the garage.

I also drained the gas tank - again - thinking that there might have been some water in the gas. Put in fresh gas alone with a can of STP water treatment.

This time I took the top half of the carb off. More brown muck inside, cleaned that out. Went for another ride. Same problem. Going straight - great, going up the smalling incline wants to stall.

Thinking that it might be a vacume leak I check and tighten all lines I even replaced the small rubber hose line for the wipers. Went for a ride - Same @*&@( problem.

I don't know what else I can do. Both the fuel pump and carb were new when I put them in about 8 years ago. There are no leaks around the fuel pump were it is mounted to the engine block. Pluse I know that there is no gas mixing in or leaking into the engine block.

Any ideas? Please help. My goal is that I want to drive to Abeerden next May it is about 180 miles one way. I've put on 1100 tires, fraont and rear disc brakes and a duel MC. Everything was going great and now this.

Thanks

Carmen

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Won

I know you said the tank was cleaned, but....

it sure sounds like the fuel is not getting to the pick up tube. A rag, leaf, trash, some sort of lining product - drifts over the pick up tube.

Were it mine, I'd be inclined to put a 5 gallon can in the liquid container bracket and run a temporary fuel line to it and check performance. Start with going straight to fuel pump - if that solves the problem, work toward the tank to isolate it. If that doesn't solve the problem, work toward the carb.

HTH,
David Doyle

AMGeneral

Another thing to check,pull the top off the carb and check your float level.Since it seems to be acting up only while going uphill I would suspect your float level is too low,as you travel up hill all the gas inside the float bowl travels to the rear thus closing off the needle valve limiting the flow of fuel.Hope this helps.

acetomatoco

If you have the early style on dash fuel filter, the fuel lines (rubber) tend to get porous and fuel drains back into tank by sucking air in thru those lines.. you never see a leak because they are on the suck side of the pump...many is the time I have gravity fed fuel from a tank on the roof to the carb to get home when the on board delivery system did not work... But as you have said you have brown gunk in the carb... I would suspect the float level check as a alternative first effort.. Take the top of the carb off and use the hand pump on the fuel pump to check fuel flow and level by eye...and see how the float travels.. maybe on incline it sticks in the up position on the crud in the pivot...or sumpin as simple as that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks