• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII Fruehauf Fifth Wheel?

nattieleather

Well it looks like it has WWII OD paint on it. I guess the question is and I don't know...were there CCKW in 5th wheel semi configuration in 1942-43?

jds15151

Not sure, I'm taking the "deuce and a half" term as a generic big, Army truck term. Not sure the seller knows much about military vehicles. From the stamping it appears it could be from 42, but I know it won't fit on one of my Dodge 3/4 tons!

citizensoldier

There was a CCKW tractor version and a 1 1/2 ton Chevy/GMC tractor version. Both types are rare and if you want to sell it let me know.
It could be off of a WWII Motor Car tractor also.. Either way its rare and would be good to have for a WWII tractor restoration.
I believe the date stamp is correct but DDoyle could tell us more if he reads this.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Off the top of my head, during WWII the following truck-tractors were made:

1 1/2 ton Chevy
5 ton GMC CCW (looks like a CCKW, but non-driven front axle, and on-road use only, hence 5 ton rating)
a tractor variant of the Studebaker US6
a tractor variant of the International M5H6
White 444T 4x4
The Autocar that was identical to the 444T - somethng like a U4144 4x4
A bigger (5-6 ton) Autocar 4x4
Mack built some 4x4 tractors as well.

Then of course there was the Pacific - but it takes a 3 1/2 inch kingpin.

I'm sure there are more, but this is best I can do off the top of my head. And I sure can't remember who made the fifth wheels for each of these. The TM9-2800 MAY associate fifth wheel brands with particular trucks, but I am not sure.

Regards,
David

surpdlr

jds15151 said:
Anyone know if this is World War II? The seller says it came off a deuce and a half and was made in April 42.

WWII fith wheel plates are normally made by Dayton or Austin.

If you are selling this, I am looking for one for my Autocar U-7144-T cab over tractor...

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CCKW Tractor

I must see your CCKW. I found a link while searchin' for valve train data for my 302 but you should be running a 270, like the vid........that's all I know.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwlLJZpxPHo[/media]

Lay out some questions and you should get some answers.....unless you're flyin' everyone over to help. :grin:

I will own a CCKW someday.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks