• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NY and all others(?) change CDL Permit standards

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As of July this year (2015), Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) changed some of the rules relating to CDL LEARNER Permits and Testing. NY changed it's rules as of 8 July.

[Mods - not sure if this is in the right spot or already covered]
[THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO DISCUSS NEEDING OR NOT, A CDL FOR EXMILITARY VEHICLE OPERATION - PURELY FOR DISCUSSING CHANGES IN THE COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE]

New rules added restrictions to CDLs, most noticeably:-

...Taking practical test in an auto transmission truck will restrict you to only being allowed to operate an auto truck.

...Permits only last 6 months and can only be renewed for 6 months max - thereafter retesting is needed.

...Tank/Doubles-Triples and Passenger endorsements will only allow you to drive an empty tank/no doubles-triples/empty passenger vehicle until road test is passed.

...Increased security - proof of States residency, proof of citizenship/"green card" and proof of birthdate (original birth certificate or valid passport).

...Removal of non airbrake class A and B vehicle.

ref: fmcsa.dot.gov/

So - if you pass your test in an M923, you will not be allowed to drive an 800 series truck IF it is deemed necessary to have a CDL in your state for those vehicles.

No word yet on closing the NY farm exemption ie., not needing a CDL, though many large farms' insurances are starting to insist all drivers have them.

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

...Removal of non airbrake class A and B vehicle.

ref: fmcsa.dot.gov/

So - if you pass your test in an M923, you will not be allowed to drive an 800 series truck IF it is deemed necessary to have a CDL in your state for those vehicles.

Can you explain this a little better? What is the difference Between the 2?

dougco1

As of July this year (2015), Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) changed some of the rules relating to CDL permits and testing. NY changed it's rules as of 8 July.

New rules added restrictions to CDLs, most noticeably:-

...Increased security - proof of States residency, proof of citizenship/"green card" and proof of birthdate (original birth certificate or valid passport).

You haven't mentioned if you meet this criteria.

iatractor

"...Permits only last 6 months and can only be renewed for 6 months max - thereafter retesting is needed."

When you say permits, are you meaning endorsements or are you inferring things like over-width, special loads, and over-weight permits? I really can't say as though I can see the DOT wanting to have every cdl holder re-tested every 6 months as they would jam up the offices and nothing else would get accomplished.

Ford Mechanic

"...Permits only last 6 months and can only be renewed for 6 months max - thereafter retesting is needed."

When you say permits, are you meaning endorsements or are you inferring things like over-width, special loads, and over-weight permits? I really can't say as though I can see the DOT wanting to have every cdl holder re-tested every 6 months as they would jam up the offices and nothing else would get accomplished.
I think he talking about the learners permit for the cdl

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think he talking about the learners permit for the cdl
Edited first post - thanks.

You haven't mentioned if you meet this criteria.
Doug - I am 100% green card compliant - but it's grey, not green! And I know how to say "Y'all".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks