• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gas Tank Sealer

maxim

My M-37 gas tank was pitted and full of rust scale. I called several places to see about sealing it but the prices ran $200+ for them to do it. After asking around some I found a product Red-Kote used by a radiator shop. I tried banging on the tank and tossed stuff into it to get the rust out for sealing. But it was BAD! After comtemplating some, I spied the el-cheepo sand blaster in the corner and found I could get my hand in the opening. I took the nozzle with the lever valve off as it would not fit in the opening and screwed only the very end of the nozzle back on the hose. Filled the blaster with sand and on a very windy day suited up with mask and shield and gloves and attacked the tank with vengeance. Well the dust flew and the rust flew and I could fish the hose around inside the tank and even had some success getting it behind the baffle. The result was what I though short of amazing and clean metal appeared in the tank. After blowing it out and vacuuming time for sealing. Following the manufacture recomendations on a another windy day masked up and got what I thought was rather satisfactory results. One thing about this product is there are some serious fumes created and proper precautions for face, breathing, skin protection are in order and DO IT OUT SIDE on a nice day. I taped off the openings with that blue painting tape and it worked fine. After sloshing the sealer around removed the tape on the vent line by the filler neck for draining of the excess sealer. They recomend allowing ample time for drying. I will not be putting gas in the tank until next spring anyway. But now it can be painted on the outside and installed and the rusty 'ole gas tank wil not be holding up the assembly proccess. The coating seems to adhere to pitted and shiny metal both, but the more pitted the more of product sticks so it will have a bearing on how much of the stuff it will take to seal the tank. I used nearly 2 quarts ($70) with a little left to some other small project.

Attachments

my old man sells slushing compound for sealing tanks also. it is white not read but works beautifully and sells it for 26 bucks a quart. it will stick to just about anything and will last forever.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had my radiator shop do my -725's gas tank, it was a little rusty, mostly from sitting empty for a long time with no gas cap on. They used this stuff, and it looks pretty good so far.

poppop

I have done antique tractor tanks with Kreem and it works well. Motorcycle shops sell it but are pricey. It can be ordered on line from a place called The Shop I think.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
when i had my 37 autocar, i used kreem in the tanks (two 50 gal. solidered tanks), i got the manufacturers phone number off the can at the bike shop, then contracted the manufacturer and ordered two gals., the price came to about the same as what the bike shop wanted for three quarts. the 2 gals gave me two coats in each plus some left over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks