• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Farm Tractors in Military Service

Jimmy

Does anyone know of any farm type tractors that was used in military service? I have a friend that is a big tractor puller that was wanting to make one up as a military tractor but I have looked on this site as well as my military books and cannot find anything.

I could have sworn I have seen one in the past somewhere in a picture.

TedG

I have seen a Ford 8n/9n with large rear tractor sized ndt tires at a salvage yard near Quincy Florida at Parramore (sp?). I believe it was a rusty green and this was around 5-6 years ago. Sorry no pictures...

papercu

tractors

Just about everything that is used in civilian life has been used in the military. If you are asking if there are any M-Series or tactical farm tractors. Nope. Wayne

jasonjc

RE: tractors

My unit in Gremany had a big John Deer for pulling helicopter around the airfield. It was green (johndeer green).

They used the Cletracs. Also, used Caterpillers D4 7J series for sure. As I have a couple that have OD paint on them. I have seen a D8 (can't remember which series that was military). They are suppose to have a pintle hitch on the rear instead of the standard swinging drawbar. I personaly haven't seen that . I guess most were converted post war to the swinging drawbar for ag use.

amanco

Here is a link for a JD "A" with twin 30 cal guns:

http://www.knapptedesco.com/tank.htm

Check out the power point presentation if you can, it is neat. The dis-advantages for production are pretty funny! I will post the article contents here for posterity:

John Deere Co. Built the Armored A Tank in 1941 and sent it to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland to be tested for combat for WWII.

The primary purpose of the tank was that John Deere design and manufacture this armored tractor to provide a low priced combat unit in volume lots.

The three major uses of the tank were to be used as a combat unit, to be used as an armored prime mover, and as a trainer for tank operators.

The objective of the Aberdeen test was to determine the military suitability of the tractor, to determine where the tractor could be fitted into the military program, to determine the feasibility of towing the tractor on a trailer behind a truck prime mover, and to determine the military suitability of the tractor-trailer for the handling of supplies.

The following is a portion of the original letter from Aberdeen Proving Ground dated 2/19/1941.

1. The test of the John Deere Model "A" Armored Tractor was authorized by letter 0.0. 451.22/371, dated January 10, 1941. The unit was tested late January to early Februrary 1941. Throughout the complete test, the determination of military suitability was stressed. No attempts was made to suggest extensive development work in the basic tractor which would increase the military suitability as any major changes in the tractor would deviate from the apparent original purpose of the manufacturer: that is, to provide a low-priced combat unit which would be quickly available in volume lots. The manufacturer's representative states that, under existing conditions, his firm is capable of building one hundred (100) tractors per day, but with no provision for the furnishing of armor plate. The declared purpose of the trailer is primarily to carry the tractor quickly at high speeds over hard-surfaced roads behind a wheeled prime mover or truck; this trailer can also be used to carry ammunition or other supplies forward on the battlefield.

2. The present tractor is not suitable as a machine gun combat unit because it does not have sufficient maneuverability; that is, due to the dual-wheeled front, castor unit the vehicle will not steer in deep sand or mud. However, with a minor modification of the front wheel assembly, the unit could be used as an armored prime mover or as an improvised light tank.

3. The approximate weight of the bare tractor is 5500 pounds. Approximately 3500 pounds of steel plate (simulating armor plate), which varies in thickness from 3/16 inch to 3/8 inch, has been added. The cost of the tractor itself would not exceed $2000; with the cost of fabricated armor plate at about $1.00 per pound, the gross cost of the unit would be approximately $6500.00 - $8000.00 (depending on the degree of refinement of the design, instruments and changes, excluding machine guns).

4. The following are some of the disadvantages were found in the vehicle tested:

a. Too low a horsepower per weight ratio; approximately seven (7) horsepower per ton.

Results of Aberdeen Testing

b. Poor visibility - The visible area starts ten (10) feet from the tractor on either side of the engine hood; at this distance, it is two (2) feet wide and tapers to a width of fifteen (15) feet at fifty (50) feet ahead of the tractor. The poor visibility is in part responsible for the rough riding, due to inability to see obstructions in the immediate foreground. (Reference memorandum dated 17 February, 1941, inclosed).

c. Rough riding qualities - such as to be expected in any unsprung vehicle; rougher than a Light Tank M2A4.

d. Poor maneuverability - largely due to the construction of the front axle castor.

e. Type of engine - The engine is of the two-cylinder type. This engine is inferior for a combat vehicle.

Some other disadvantages were:

a. Machine guns shot out the tires.

b. Not enough room for 30 calibar ammo boxes.

c. Too much weight for a John Deere Tractor.

d. Top heavy.

e. When the machine guns were pointed near the driver, it was defening for the driver.

f. The stering wheel would go out of control when the tank hit a pot hole.

g. Gunner had very poor visability and could n't steady the machine guns when traveling over rough terrain.

h. Gunners would be burned by hot 30 cal. shells.

5. Advantages:

a. Relatively low cost.

b. Quick availability.

c. Readily obtainable in quantity.

6 A vehicle such as this can obviously not compete with a specially-developed fighting machine such as a light tank and under normal conditions would probably be unacceptable as an item of equipment. However, circumstances could readily arise where the ready availability of this vehicle would be of great value to the Army for the following uses:

a. For use until production of specially designed tanks is available.

b. For use in secondary campaigns.

c. For use in training.

Fate of the original tractor tank is unknown.

Attachments

poppop

This was covered in two-cylinder magazine 10 or 12 years ago. I wish i could find that tractor. John Deere also built field washing machines for laundery service, produced components for Sherman tanks, I think had some dealings with Liberty ships as one was named for them, and many other things for the war effort.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial

The above John Deere experiment aside, all branches of the armed forces have used agricultural tractors from time to time. The Air Force civil engineers use them in various construction situations, as does the Army Corps of Engineers and the Navy Construction Batallion (Sea-Bees). They are also used to pull runway brooms and mow grass on airfields. I have seen 8- and 9N Fords, Massey-Fergusons, Farmalls, Cases, and John Deeres used for those purposes in many locations. The industrial models (different tires and headlights) have been used by supply depots to move assets around and as aircraft tugs. Farm boy that I am, I was very surprised to see a Strata blue Farmall towing a B25 out of a hangar when I reported to Sheppard AFB, TX for tech school! That was only the first of many that I've seen over the years. I've been retired for 18 years, now, but I'll bet that there are still some "farm" tractors on active duty somewhere. :)

amanco

A bit more info, the CASE military tractor, Model LAI had an interesting engine described as: "In 1942, Case built the first of the LA and LAI models equipped with the Hesselman fuel-injection system, which allowed a standard Case spark-ignited engine to burn diesel fuel. This technology was developed in Sweden and licensed to Waukesha Engine. It offered the advantages over a conventional diesel engine, the biggest being the ease with which the engine could be started compared to a high compression diesel engine. The Hesselman engine could also burn almost any grade of fuel."

So not all spark plugs are what they apear to be! Also they had a top speed of 40 MPH!

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: tractor

Back as late as 1993, JD 410 backhoes were the standard in the engineer BN in our heavy division the 1st Cavalry. They were the light diggers and they had D-7 dozers for digging tank hull down positions and berms around the Division perimter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks