• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions on Marine M37 Bumper Markings

Mark_Ellis

I am trying to determine what some bumper markings I found during the sanding process on my donor Marine bumper mean. I looked at Cabell's site and there was some information on there that may help but it was a little sketchy. The marking on the front passenger side is a gold diamond on it's side with a red border. Diamond width is 14inches and the height is 7 inches. Due to scratches and wear I was unable to determine if there was any markings inside the diamond. Also on the drivers side there were two rows of six digits that weren't very readable. Letters and numbers both and I could tell about four of the twelve digits. They were 1/2inch in height. From what I saw on Cabell's site the diamond on it's side means it was with Third Marine Division but when researching on line I can't find anything like that. The Third Marine division emblem as been a triangle, not a diamond since WWII so I am not sure that information was correct. I have a email into the Marine museum at Quantico but am not sure they can help either.
Thanks for any information,

Mark

MarineTracs

Mark,
The markings you are describing are for the 2nd Marine Division. The 1st Marine Division used a gold shield (somewhat elongated and flattened at the very top), while the 3rd Marine Division used a scarlett shield (rounded at top) with a gold caltrop within it. Quite often, scarlett letters and/or numbers appeared, either to each side or within the division device itself, to indicate unit (1 4 = 1st Battalion, 4th Marines: H & S = Headquaters and Service; etc). At least, this is how vehicles were supposed to be marked during the Vietnam era.
Chuck

Mark_Ellis

Chuck,
Could you clarify please? Are you saying that the emblems you describe were used on tactical vehicles only? From what I can tell what you describe isn't what I am pretty sure is the standard markings for the Marine Divisions. I know those may have been modified for use on vehicles but I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying. The First Marine Division emblem is a vertical diamond (height more than width) with the number one in it with stars in the field and the word Guadalcanal imposed over the number one. Second Marine Division is an arrowhead shape with a lighted torch held by a hand in it with the number two imposed over the body of the torch. The Third Marine Division emblem is a shield shape that has an odd shaped triangle inside it. Fourth Marines has a diamond that has equal height and width and the number four inside it. The closest thing I could find on the internet as to looking similar was the emblem used for all of the Marine Air Wings... but they have a red background instead of the gold or yellow. I respect what you are saying but am just trying to find some documentation as to what my marking means.

Thanks for any information,

Mark

MarineTracs

Mark,
I sent you a personal email with an attached color photo of a 2nd Marine Division M37 showing the tactical marking on the door. Let me know if you do not receive it. From your description, I believe it is the markings that you have on your truck.
I think that the confusion lies in thinking that the Divisional Insignias (patches) of WWII were what they put on vehicles. This was, and still is not the case. In fact, during WWII most Marine vehicles had no unit markings, just the generic USMC and serial number. By the time of Vietnam, the Corps was using tactical markings (again, these are entirely different from the division insignia patches) on some, but not all, vehicles. These tactical markings are what I was describing in my first email. I have photos of tactical markings for the 1st & 3rd Marine Division in Vietnam as well as the 2nd Marine Division at Camp Lejeune (the 2nd MarDiv was not deployed to Vietnam). The 4th MarDiv was reconstituted as the Reserve Division after WWII and I never saw a tactical marking on their vehicles until their recent partial deployment to Iraq. The 5th & 6th MarDiv's were deactivated after WWII.
I hope this helps and is not as confusing as I fear it to be,
Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks