• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help.

carmen

Ok Guys
If you remember a couple of post back I was haveing trouble going up the hills? Anyway since then I discovered something that I thinks is the problem but I am not quite sure on how and where to look.

While driving the truck up hill and it starts to sputter I found out that if I pull the chock out the engine goes back to normal.

From what I have read this is a vacume problem - correct? What I did yesterday is replaced ALL of the wippers hoses as well as all of the clamps. Checked all of the connection going into and out of the fuel pump. Still I can't seem to find the problem.

According to manual I should check to see if I have enought vacume on the manitfold and also see if there is enought presure sending fuel out from the fuel pump. Since I don't have those gages in my shop - I will after today. IS there any other places that I should check? Or am i waesting my time in going in this direction?

Also, I recently switch to a duel M/C, since this M/C does not have a place for me to connect the vent line to I just let it hang down. Could this be part of the problem?

Thanks

Carmen

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a few ways to check for vacuum leaks. One is just listen. There should be a whistling sound. Get a can of brake cleaner..make sure it's flammable..and spray around the carb base and intake manifold. If there is a leak there, the idle will go up by itself. BE CAREFUL with the last thing. If you have a bad plug wire or a cracked cap, you'll have a fireball under the hood. If you suspect a vacuum leak, why not remove all the lines from the carb and plug them. That way you can eliminate the outside influences to see if the problem is other than engine related. If there were a big enough leak to give you a performance issue, wouldn't the engine "ping" from leaning out? Does the distributor have advance weights? They could be stuck so they don't advance. Good luck, keep us posted on your findings.

Mark_Ellis

Carmen, I would check a few things. Choke adjustment proper,Timing, Compression, Fuel flow, Weak spark, points set properly, Length and condition of fuel pickup tube in tank in relationship to how much fuel is in the tank at what angles of elevation. Carb to intake gasket leaking. Yes I think it would be very advisable to plug that line, I did the same mod and plugged mine with a plug from NAPA. This should not cause the problem because it is upstream of the carb so it shoudlnt' be a vaccum loss but would introduce unfilterd air into the carb.

Just some things to think about,
Mark

Mark_Ellis

Hey Andy,
Yes... I have. I got to the end of my Marine career and just couldnt' find the job in the area that I needed to stay afloat. Timing is everything. In a few years or so I plan to be back in the area. We kept our house and are renting up here... dang expensive but I got a pretty good job working as a contractor to the Marine Corps, work right beside a LtCol. It's sorta like not leaving service but I wear casual civie clothes and get to go to lunch and go home at a regular time... pretty good stuff!! I had to pare down to one m37 and m101. It was tough to make that decision but dang, I could only haul so much of my junk way up here..lol.
If you are up this way give me a shout.

Mark

acetomatoco

If you have a dash mounted fuel filter the hoses running to it are usually the culprits...they leak air in and show no obvious outward leakage...be sure to change them..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks