• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

End of Surplus sales? Received the attached today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Received this e-mail today October 15, from the surplus buyers lobby. I am only the messenger!

Your action required to protect surplus property sales

URGENT: Action required to protect surplus property sales Take Action!

Please call your elected representatives as soon as possible

In July of this year you sent e-mails -- thank you -- to your US Representative and Senators regarding a threat to the continued supply of Demil B and Q surplus property offered for sale by the Department of Defense. SBOA has learned that it is likely that a decision that may adversely impact the flow of all or some of the current Demil B and Q property flow is imminent – quite possibly within the next two to three days.
We consider it ESSENTIAL that decision maker -- Mr. P. Jackson "Jack" Bell, the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Logistics and Materiel Readiness -- be asked to let interested Members of the House and Senate know what the proposals are, and allow adequate time for feedback BEFORE he implements any new policy. To that end please call your US Representative and Senators’ offices and ask them to help by calling Mr. Bell's office with that request.

Remind them that the Demil B and Q property that is used by many legitimate small businesses and citizens in the United States holds no risk to National Security. DOD has no reason NOT to adequately brief its intended policy or policies as existing safeguards already adequately protect National Security. The prime driver of the proposed policy is to protect civil servants from perceived political vulnerabilities, but you will be the real victim.

We encourage you to call to ensure that your request reaches your elected representatives in time for them to support our position. CLICK THE "TAKE ACTION" LINK to help.

SBOA and other surplus buyers thank you for your action on this issue. If you received any replies from your elected representatives after your July e-mail, we would love to see them. You may e-mail them to us at info@surplusbuyers.org or fax them to us at 480-563-1678.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only response I received from my reps after I wrote them about this earlier this year was a standard form letter, i.e. "Thank you for writing me about your interest in the [insert cause here]. This issue, and all issues important to my voting constituents, are very important to me. Blah blah, blah blah blah blah." Translation: I am a rich insider, stop bothering me with your crap, but keep sending me money and voting for my worthless a$$.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Demil B & Q About To Be Shut Down?

I received this letter this morning. Did anyone else receive it? I contacted John Kyle's office and was transfered to his liason. I was told that I could call back in a few days for status and that the Senator would be interested in this. The letter is below:

Your action required to protect surplus property sales

URGENT: Action required to protect surplus property sales Take Action!

Please call your elected representatives as soon as possible

In July of this year you sent e-mails -- thank you -- to your US Representative and Senators regarding a threat to the continued supply of Demil B and Q surplus property offered for sale by the Department of Defense. SBOA has learned that it is likely that a decision that may adversely impact the flow of all or some of the current Demil B and Q property flow is imminent - quite possibly within the next two to three days.
We consider it ESSENTIAL that decision maker -- Mr. P. Jackson "Jack" Bell, the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Logistics and Materiel Readiness -- be asked to let interested Members of the House and Senate know what the proposals are, and allow adequate time for feedback BEFORE he implements any new policy. To that end please call your US Representative and Senators' offices and ask them to help by calling Mr. Bell's office with that request.

Remind them that the Demil B and Q property that is used by many legitimate small businesses and citizens in the United States holds no risk to National Security. DOD has no reason NOT to adequately brief its intended policy or policies as existing safeguards already adequately protect National Security. The prime driver of the proposed policy is to protect civil servants from perceived political vulnerabilities, but you will be the real victim.

We encourage you to call to ensure that your request reaches your elected representatives in time for them to support our position. CLICK THE "TAKE ACTION" LINK to help.

SBOA and other surplus buyers thank you for your action on this issue. If you received any replies from your elected representatives after your July e-mail, we would love to see them. You may e-mail them to us at info@surplusbuyers.org or fax them to us at 480-563-1678.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Demil B & Q About To Be Shut Down?

Worse than shutting this down...would they want back what we already have...??? That would suck big time when you consider how much $$$ we all put into our trucks.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As posted earlier, they are already comming after electronics. I have received many requests now to return commercial electronic items. It doesn't matter if you have repaired or restored the item, they will only give you a "credit" for what you paid. If you bought several items in a lot, you get a pro-rated "credit".

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This sounds like B.S. Did the letter only come as an email? That should make anyone suspicious. It's just like your bank notifying you via email that they'll freeze your account unless you go to a website and verify your information so they know your account has not been compromised --- yet. :roll:

If these sales were ending, GL would be the FIRST place to contact it's 350,000+ members to say "Write your congressional representative". That would mean a big hit to their sales and they would not wait until it was too late to stop it.

If the government ever tried to take back everything they sold, they couldn't afford it. Nor can they probably afford to lose the revenue from the sale of these items.

As for the electronic items. If I had a piece of electronic equipment that I "restored" and they wanted it back, I would most certainly "un-restore" it before they came and got it. Same with trucks or anything else. Let them track down the other parts separately.

Elwenil

CUCVFAN said:
If these sales were ending, GL would be the FIRST place to contact it's 350,000+ members to say "Write your congressional representative". That would mean a big hit to their sales and they would not wait until it was too late to stop it.
I disagree, GL doesn't care about the MV collector since the majority of it's sales are either to scrap dealers or large rebuilders. Now they may freak a little at losing the sales to the large companies that rebuild trucks, but I doubt they would care much about losing sales to an individual citizen. Think about how much time and money would be saved if they never had to mess with EUCs and SF-97s and individuals trying to drive or tow one or two trucks off a lot instead of larger companies coming in, loading up and getting out and they never hear from them again until the next sale.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I agree with CUCVFAN. While ELWENIL makes a good point about big chunks of income coming from scrap dealers, I think, if you add up all of the sales to private collectors, that amount will out-weigh the other. For every bidder 8500 there is, there are thousands of collectors buying one or more trucks/trailers/etc. I am not sure how much of GL's income is from trucks, as opposed to other commodities, but I bet they don't want to lose those sales. That's why they have become more like used car salesmen than the DRMS. Have you noticed that their descriptions often say "RUNS" or "NICE CONDITION" or "APPEARS NEW"? They do this to drum up more business and increased sales prices...and they have done a very good job of it as evidenced by how many new collectors have joined this site.

surpdlr

CUCVFAN said:

Desert Deuce wrote:
Lets see, phone number above is 480-563-1678, which is a Scottsdale AZ exchange.....
Oh that's where Government Liquidation is based.... Hummmmmmm

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff, that is an interesting connection that you note. Perhaps, GL knows something that we don't about these sales ending.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Elwenil said:
I disagree, GL doesn't care about the MV collector since the majority of it's sales are either to scrap dealers or large rebuilders. Now they may freak a little at losing the sales to the large companies that rebuild trucks, but I doubt they would care much about losing sales to an individual citizen. Think about how much time and money would be saved if they never had to mess with EUCs and SF-97s and individuals trying to drive or tow one or two trucks off a lot instead of larger companies coming in, loading up and getting out and they never hear from them again until the next sale.
I disagree with your disagreement :) GL - while I write for MV magazine - its just that, I have no inside information - but, I do notice that they have a full-color ad in every issue, and a page or two of black and white ads. And they were at Aberdeen and at the MVPA convention - sure doesn't look like they don't care. And while there is some merit to your less work with fewer customers arguement - I sure wouldn't want to try to practice that. If the only bidders are the big boys, pretty soon the market will become saturated, and pretty soon the price is gonna drop - a lot. It wasn't that many years ago that I saw a couple of these big boys battling it out over a couple of large lots of deuces - I think ultimately they went for a few hundred dollars apiece (just were only so many guys who can spend a few hundred bucks each times 150 trucks).

My .02,
DD

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to the GSBOA webpage listed above, and I actually can't find much regarding surplus buying or selling on their site. The page looks like it is a cheesy portal to contact your reps about any issue important to you, a boiler-plate webpage if you will. The webpage could be from the Beanie Babies Collector's Lobby of Elbonia, and it would look the same except for the logo on the front page.

Methinks something fishy is going on here....

Elwenil

DDoyle said:
I disagree with your disagreement :) GL - while I write for MV magazine - its just that, I have no inside information - but, I do notice that they have a full-color ad in every issue, and a page or two of black and white ads. And they were at Aberdeen and at the MVPA convention - sure doesn't look like they don't care. And while there is some merit to your less work with fewer customers arguement - I sure wouldn't want to try to practice that. If the only bidders are the big boys, pretty soon the market will become saturated, and pretty soon the price is gonna drop - a lot. It wasn't that many years ago that I saw a couple of these big boys battling it out over a couple of large lots of deuces - I think ultimately they went for a few hundred dollars apiece (just were only so many guys who can spend a few hundred bucks each times 150 trucks).

My .02,
DD
Point taken. :wink: I wonder how much of GL's sales are to private owners and if there is any way to find out what percentage of sales go to whom? We can sort of keep an eye on some of the big buyers because we see their numbers come up so often but I don;t pay any attention to the purely scrap auctions so I wonder how much that goes for and how many are buying. Now that I think about it, I'm sure GL would want to keep the individual buying since if nothing else, we raise the price of the bid for the big guys on their stuff. And we will probably pay more for a given truck than a scrap dealer who is only interested in weight. I think I'll go looking at scrap auctions this evening...

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I met with GL reps in Vegas last August. I asked if they were involed with or knew about these letters. The answer was affermative. GL has already been hurt by the closing of most DRMO posts. Any company with a payrol and earnings expectations will fight for every last dollor that is profitable. That is what is going on here. I'm not repeating this information 2nd or 3rd hand by the way.

Coveralls

I sence something is going on as I have not received any SF97's since Sept. Has anyone recieved one lately? Maybe they were told not to issue any more titles. I tried to purchase every thing I could last year,just in case Clinton gets elected. If we can't get the SF97's we'll have to get them plated some other way.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got two of them in early December, I believe. They are still doing them, but I believe they have a backlog and are running at 30 business days per application....

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks