• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converters for 24VDC to 12VDC/120 VAC ??

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there any military-grade power supplies that are able to convert 24 or 28VDC to 12 VDC to tun commercial accessories such as radios, CBs, etc? For that matter, any ones that can convert 24VDC to 120VAC to operate standard household items, like TVs, hair dryers, fridges, etc.?

Just interested in seeing what's out there for a future application.

No.2Diesel

I think you observed my setup. Its a 24V to 12V inverter rated to 25 amps. I purchased it from OK Offroad. I run a cigarette lighter, a Tekonsha brake controller as well as a 7-pin commercial trailer plug.

HeadWizard

24v to 12v converters

I've got a source that I can get converters that operate on 24v to 48v input and put out 12v constant at a maximum of 25 amps. Very heavy duty with a good size heat sync.

I've used them on several 36v and 48v projects over the last several years and have had no failures.

My cost is $147.40 plus whatever shipping costs. For what it's worth. Lead time is only normally 1 day.

Don

rmgill

RE: 24v to 12v converters

Newmar Power makes marine rated inverters, chargers and voltage converters. They make a 24-12 volt converter that can be configured from the factory as a charger (add a 12 volt battery). They have some that are rated from 3 amps to 40 amps. They also have some heavy duty isolators, integrators and other battery accessories. When and if I get an S280, I'm going to probably be calling these guys for hardware for fitting it out.

I have some of their hardware in my computer rooms. Good stuff.

They're not cheap but sealed marine rated electronics aren't cheaply built.
http://www.newmarpower.com/

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I'll probably need one that can handle at least 150 watts. I am a ham radio operator, and power is king (ar ar ar). My 2-meter ham radio is 50 watts by itself, and I am looking to upgrade to a higher power rig.

Here's an idea on AC systems: I managed to get hold of a UPS System from APC, namely one like that:
http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-APC-Smart-UPS-3000RMI3U-SU3000RMI3U

I plan to build it onto a green NATO-aluminum case and connect it to the 24V outlet on the deuces cab (remember to unhook it before cranking ...).
Already used it as a power-supply for grinding / sanding applications under 220Volts. Works well! If you only connect low-power devices to it the build-in accumulators last quite some time, and you can use the trucks 24V power as well.

Mark

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
many converters recent and today are re-colored/rebranded off the shelf industrial/rugged units.

fair radio has a few 60Hz units that run on 12V
http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php?mode=search&query=inverter&submit.x=16&submit.y=10

24V? I bought a few Elgar units from Haney, untested.. they are going to be tricky and iffy. He can't guarantee them since he cannot test them and they may need to be modified as shown to be used or tested. I have 3, one works. He has a stak of them if you want to tinker.
http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/mil/m35/first/elgar800.htm
NOTE: Elgar was unhelpful about information requests. I think they sold this off and have no info.

Blythewoodjoe

This looks like a good time to bring up the HMMWV alternator's that myself and others have installed on there multifuel deuces. All the 12 volts you can stand for inverters of all sizes. It's not for everyone but if you have a deuce it's a reasonable option if you plan to use a bunch of 12 volts. I thing I had around $200 in the alternator and pulley. I put 500 miles on the truck for the Georgia rally and all the lights still work and the batteries didn't blow up after the 13 hours of driving.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please, tell us more? I thought HMMWV were 24V. Any pictures? Personally I been looking for a big DC genny for the M35, to the point of considering the units at Groban.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had 4 24V to 120AC mil-spec units that I got surplus. None worked. A friend gave me 3 more of a different model to try to repair and no luck as the components are potted. Seems the military burned them up in mass. I have yet to see a working unit.

Sanook

I had 4 24V to 120AC mil-spec units that I got surplus. None worked. A friend gave me 3 more of a different model to try to repair and no luck as the components are potted. Seems the military burned them up in mass. I have yet to see a working unit.

Well now is your chance. Mine works fine. You can google qp-250 inverter with slave and see where I bought it. The top of the page says you get banned for posting upcoming auctions or add details, so I guess I can't just tell you where I bought mine. And yes it is rated at continuous power 225 watts and surge 500 watts, so just like any inverter, if you abuse it, you'll burn it up.

Whiterabbit

True!
I picked up some used ones awhile back. Burned up. I know I personally burned up 2 or 3 while deployed. Not that model though, they were the 10"x6"x6" ones with all the vents on them. SMOKED them bad boys! :D

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well since the thread resurrection is in full force. I used a Vanner 100amp battery equalizer to provide a 12v tap on the SEMTT. I'm running a camera system, 800w inverter, stereo, additional lighting (about 300watts at least). No problems at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks