• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1075 PLS, HEMTT, and Stryker steering axles question

YMangolds

Howdy, I've got a quick question regarding the steering axles on PLS, HEMTT, and Stryker vehicles.
I know the PLS has 3 steeling axles (1,2, and 5 contra-steers) and HEMTTs and Strykers front 2 axles steer. I was wondering if all steering axles steer the same amount or proportionally?
For example: If the front axle on a PLS is rotated 30 degrees, is the 2nd axle also rotated 30 degrees and the rear rotated -30 degrees, or would the second axle be rotated 15 degrees and rear axle -15 degrees?

ev2bfree

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy, I've got a quick question regarding the steering axles on PLS, HEMTT, and Stryker vehicles.
I know the PLS has 3 steeling axles (1,2, and 5 contra-steers) and HEMTTs and Strykers front 2 axles steer. I was wondering if all steering axles steer the same amount or proportionally?
For example: If the front axle on a PLS is rotated 30 degrees, is the 2nd axle also rotated 30 degrees and the rear rotated -30 degrees, or would the second axle be rotated 15 degrees and rear axle -15 degrees?
The steering is "proportional" in that each steer tire can draw a straight line to the same imaginary point at the center point of the turning radius. The outside tire and the inside tire are at slightly different angles on the same axel as well. This is the only way to prevent massive tire scrub. The contra steer is speed proportional also. Contra only happens at low speeds. Above a set speed the rears stay straight. You can see on this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJp6NSKdW0U

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't speak towards the front axle steering on the HEMTT, but the rear axle steering on the HET is accomplished like this - The shaft coming off of the steering wheel goes into a 3 way "tee" box that has shafts heading toward both the front and rear of the truck. The front shaft connects with the front steering gearbox and the rear shaft connects to a reduction box, which then has another shaft that connects to the rear steering gearbox. The reduction box alters the amount that the steering wheel affects the rear steering gearbox in order to change the steering angle.

I have no experience with the PLS, but the HET has no high speed rear steering disconnect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks