• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

69 M715 Navy

osok

Hello all,
New guy to the forum here.
Just picked up a 69 from a local usfs yard last weekend and cant wait to get started on her. She's all stock and marked distintly with Navy numbering and Seabees logos. The bed is a service/utility type that I have not seen before. I was wondering if anyone here has knowledge of these beds and their history. I'm not sure if I like the bed yet but it might grow on me. The height is a little lower than that of the hood and as wide as the rest of the body. It has 3 or 4 hinged compartment doors on both sides and obviously made for the vehicle. Any info would be appreciated. Great site!
-Osok

RICE670

I own this type. This is the contact maintinance version.The one you are looking at sounds like the telephone maint. version.Please post some pics when you can. Scott

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW I've seen M715s with the rear fenders removed and boxes bolted to the original bedsides.

osok

My new rig is definately not the M726. The service bed on the M726 is a good foot and a half taller than mine, good looking truck though. I'll get some pics out to you guys if I can ever get home again.
Thanks,
-Osok

Kwai

Your dataplate will indicate the source of your truck. Does the truck have a winch. It sounds like the utility box is something added later.
M715 - cargo truck
M726 - telephone maintenance truck (with winch)
M724 - chassis cab (with winch). These trucks are often found with the 6217 contact maintenance body (mine was manufactured in 1970) which included a welder/generator. Not all 6217's are M724's. Some were converted from M715 w/w trucks later. My later version has a 1976 manufacture date.

osok

I am guessing now that it's a M724 chassis cab (with the braden pto winch) with the 6217 maintenance bed. Like I said I havent had more than a few minutes to check her out after getting it home. Does anyone have a pic of a 6217 bed? The left rear compartment is formed to hold some type of cylinder, about the size of a 5 gallon propane tank. Does that help any in figuring this thing out? Thanks for all the responses.
-Osok

67Beast

osok said:
I am guessing now that it's a M724 chassis cab (with the braden pto winch) with the 6217 maintenance bed. Like I said I havent had more than a few minutes to check her out after getting it home. Does anyone have a pic of a 6217 bed? The left rear compartment is formed to hold some type of cylinder, about the size of a 5 gallon propane tank. Does that help any in figuring this thing out? Thanks for all the responses.
-Osok
The pic Rice posted is of a M724 with the 6217 bed. The 6217 has full height sides and a roof section. It sounds more like your truck was a M715 that has had a bed swapped somewhere along it's life with a civilian bed. Unless you can find a data tag on the bed somewhere I would say it's a civilain swap done by the USFS. If you haven't been there yet, stop over to the http://www.m715zone.com there is tons of info specificly about these trucks on that site. Welcome and enjoy your 5/4 ton.

osok

OK, I haven't made it home yet so I called my son to track down some #'s. Heres what he gave me:

1969 Telephone utility truck M726
Serial # 10211
Registration # 94-75198
FSN # 2C2320-921-6833

After looking at Rices' truck and seeing mine is a telephone utility vehicle, I'm thinking my utility box was cut down and custom made by the Seabees. They did such a good job it looks factory. Again, I will get some pics up as soon as I can make it home. What can you guys tell me from these #'s and does anyone know what the right rear compartment was meant to hold?
thanks,
Osok

RICE670

I bet the holder you are seeing is for a water keg.Drinking water that is. Mine is an oddity that it is a converted m715 done by watervalit arsonal in 1974.I actually met a guy at a show that works there and saw these trucks during the conversions.I have done alot of work on it and still not quite complete. Scott

osok

I checked at the zone and there are only 7 of these registered. It also has the hood mounted air cleaner contraption, looks like something off a big rig! Is there a fording kit available for this air intake system?

67Beast

osok said:
I checked at the zone and there are only 7 of these registered. It also has the hood mounted air cleaner contraption, looks like something off a big rig! Is there a fording kit available for this air intake system?
That is the standard air filter system for them that was put into production starting with the 68' trucks.( along with a govenor) There is no deep water fording kit for those systems. The deep water fording kit for the M715 family of vehicles was designed to be used with the original style air filter that was on the 67' trucks. You can adapt back to a 67' style filter and then use the fording kit with that if you want. The question would be why add a fording kit? Are you planning to drive the truck through 6 feet of water. The truck will currently ford water up to the height of the air filter which is around 3 feet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks