• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake controllers and trailers

Lee Alessi

what are some options?
im looking at buying a 20' equipment trailer with a pintle. my options are

1) surge brakes

2) electric brakes

3) air brakes

whats anyone elses experiance? i need the trailer to haul my m715, or maybe another vehicle. i know how surge brakes work, but not how well. on the electrics, i assume i would need to get a converter(s). and no idea on the air brakes.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go air of you can! You can also add an air brake kit with a treadle brake on the column.
Just my opinion!

MVtrucker

mcinfantry,
I owned and pulled a 12-ton equipment trailer that had 12 volt electric brakes. If you decide to go with electric and pull it with your M35A2, contact me for details on how I did it. Of course, if anybody else needs the info, feel free to contact me.
I used to pull a 3/4-ton military trailer that had surge brakes with my M1009. The brakes worked very well, but you do not have any manual control over them like I had with electric brakes and air brake trailers where a trolly brake (column mounted brake control) was in the cab.

hot rod deuce

surge brakes are not even leagle to manufacture in minnesota and probable some other states plus there seems to be a reason, electo would be good if you ever want to pull it with something w/o air but air would be the best hands down
my theory anyway

yeager1

Surge brakes can actually work really well if you adjust them right initially. One nice thing is they will automatically adjust for the load and speed without having to mess with a controller. Also, you can hitch it to anything (with no hookups) and they will still work well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks