• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aluminum Arctic Top

acetomatoco

As they are rather rare and exciting and your post is not specific as to Model...M38, or A1, or M170 is the topic. I would not hesitate to pay $500 for the real thing and not one of the aftermarket units which showed up in the 60s from Sears and others Most of the originals had wooden doors as I remember.

pete46a

I have a complete Arctic top sale in Michigan - want $475

I saw your post and hope you don't mind me chiming in. I currently have an Arctic top complete with doors, all glass and windshield - located in Southeast Michigan.
I put it on the Detroit Craigslist a few days ago and there's 4 pictures there.

Will consider partial trades for a matching pair of downriggers for my boat. Thanks,
Pete

Attachments

pete46a

RE: I have a complete Arctic top sale in Michigan-want $475

Please e-mail replies - you'll need to register one time with my Spam Blocker to get through - sorry !

Mike_Pop

Pete,

Your top looks like an aftermarket item. The military tops did not have a rear hinged door. Instead, it was a solid back with a hole for the heater exhaust. The side doors were made of plywood. I bought a 1953 M38A1 that was rotting away in NJ for $150. I only wanted the top so I parted the rest out for $900.

Attachments

wesk

Pete's top is M38 military and was probably modified for the rear door. The military top is several inches longer than the civvy tops because the military uses the special vertical mount windshield. The M38 top did not have the gas heater exhaust hole like your A1 top since it's gas heater was mounted on the front cowl.

The A1 tops are hard to find but the M38 tops are plentiful. They sell for anywhere from $150 to $350. $500 is a little high. The real problem with these tops are where they are vs where the buyer is. They are a real pain to ship.

pete46a

Thanks for all the info guys - I REALLY appreciate learning more about this. The windshield included with this top is the Vertical mount style. I can't find any tags or writing anywhere. It seems odd that after being painted at least 3 different colors over an apparent many years that the base layer is OD if it wasn't military - I'm just surmising here...
The doors are aluminum like the top with wood panels trimming the inside. There is black foam - about 1/2" thick throughout the inside surfaces, still adhered and in surprisingly good shape. I welcome any more identification hints on where it might be tagged or stamped with information.

Thanks to all,
Pete

hillbilly21

M38 Top

pete46a said:
Thanks for all the info guys - I REALLY appreciate learning more about this. The windshield included with this top is the Vertical mount style. I can't find any tags or writing anywhere. It seems odd that after being painted at least 3 different colors over an apparent many years that the base layer is OD if it wasn't military - I'm just surmising here...
The doors are aluminum like the top with wood panels trimming the inside. There is black foam - about 1/2" thick throughout the inside surfaces, still adhered and in surprisingly good shape. I welcome any more identification hints on where it might be tagged or stamped with information.

Thanks to all,
Pete
I found this 52 in a storage building and am presently restoreing it..ground up again..

Has the original top..insulation is like the day it came out of the factory..take a look ..I have done several http://jeepsofold.myphotoalbum.com hope you enjoy.

Attachments

pete46a

RE: M38 Top

Thanks for the info and link - I checked out your pix - that looks exactly like my top/door and windshield with the exception of the rear opening door on mine.
Where was the data tag located - the one in the close-up photo ?

hillbilly21

Re: RE: M38 Top

pete46a said:
Thanks for the info and link - I checked out your pix - that looks exactly like my top/door and windshield with the exception of the rear opening door on mine.
Where was the data tag located - the one in the close-up photo ?

It is located on the drivers side door..before the latch to un-secure the door..

Mike_Pop

I just placed my Arctic top on my Mighty Mite since I am doing a frame off restoration on my M38A1. It's almost a perfect fit! It's about 1.5-2" too long so I will have to make some adapter brackets to close the gap. Winters get cold here so having a top, doors, and heat would be nice. It will also be good to keep the hot summer sun off as well. (Well, at least until I get my canvas top.)

Attachments

krick3tt

Mike,
Good looking adaptation. If anyone can figure out how to make it work......you will. Now for the heater, with an aircooled it should be interesting.
Cheers,
Morris

Mike_Pop

Morris,

Great to see you here!

Does anyone know where I can get amilitary gas fired heater, similar to the ones used in Volkwagens? Something small enough to fit in the Mite?

Thanks!

Kman

Anyone have any miscellaneous parts for these tops??I need some door latch parts and some glass pieces(probably can get the glass made up).Hillbilly21 your photo album is very helpful!I am also missing the spacers for the windshield frame.

hillbilly21

Kman said:
Anyone have any miscellaneous parts for these tops??I need some door latch parts and some glass pieces(probably can get the glass made up).Hillbilly21 your photo album is very helpful!I am also missing the spacers for the windshield frame.
Glad I could be of assistance with the pictures..Those spacers are tapered..If you need some measurements e-mail me and give me a little time as I will get them for you..
I have a man thats intrested in my top if he doesnt come through I will be selling this one !!

modified

I got some Arctic top Pieces available including some cast aluminum corners and brackets for the MB / Gpw ? possibly would work for M38 , not sure. can provide pics. send me a PM>..

modified

The following pieces originated from the top as pictured. It mfg. tag stated as a "Metro Engineering" and was a MIlitary Arctic Aluminum Top for (I Think") an MB or GPW and would fit CJ2-2A? that requires the "vertical w/s" for use of said top.. regardless, decide for yourself if this can be used for your appl. I can provide meas. if needed and more detail pics. Would prefer to sell all parts as complete set.
included are some rare cast Aluminum parts and stamped channels that would cost a small fortune to reproduce.
"OPEN TO TRADES!!"
ad is posted here:
Willys M Jeeps Forums-viewtopic-Arctic Top Parts/Pieces -FOR SALE.

F/S: MB/GPW-Aluminum Arctic Top Pieces and parts - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Windsheild assembly, corners,channels,brackets

Rear corners

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks