• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bad stuck and big trucks

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Any picts of that big guy in the same mud hole? I think these events see all the little guys doing all the mudding and the big guys getting all the looks. I might have put rice paddy tires on it and sailed over the mud.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonder how a M76 Otter would do in the muck? Or just a lowly deuce? I remember at Haspin that gilbert2-1/2ton blew through that mud pit, while all the other 4x4s got stuck time and again....

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lowly deuce would do terribly in mud like that. I recall David Doyle once saying that a deuce is only average off-road. Where a deuce really excels is in carrying heavy loads across rough ground. Try that in any civilian monster truck and see what happens to the vehicle after prolonged off-road use with a full load. I have read that a deuce was designed to spend 80% of its life off-road. I cannot recall where I read that, though. I also remember reading that a vehicle, like a CUCV, was designed to spend 80% of its life on-road.

Speaking of serious mud and a deuce, my brother was in the 82nd Airborne Division during his 20+ years in the Army. After a jump, he had a few privates take a deuce out to the field where they jumped in to retrieve all of the chutes. Anyway, they were in NC and anyone from NC knows about red Carolina clay. I'll cut right through the chase and say that they stuck that truck up to the gunnels...it literally was sitting on its running boards with the NDTs so full of mud/clay that they were slicks.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BKubu said:
A lowly deuce would do terribly in mud like that. I recall David Doyle once saying that a deuce is only average off-road..... .
"Average" is a relative term, compared to what, other 6x6 2-1/2 ton trucks?
Size matters, but deep mud snow makes for rugh going for anybody, guess the monster trucks above in this thread simply knew better. :)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure exactly what David meant about "average." Perhaps, he can chime in to clarify. I take it to mean just that...that a deuce performs about "average" off-road in comparison to all other off-road vehicles. If you single a deuce out and add chains, like you have done, the off-road performance will improve.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vintage Video has a VHS video (#151) titled "Study in Vehicle Mobility" showing various MVs under off road conditions at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds. They don't install chains, BTW. Makes for interseting viewing.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I don't recall the conversation I had with Bruce - and I am unusually pressed for time this morning. However, looking at the pix above. The mud hole where the guys are stuck is just that - a mud hole. The army would drive around it, or fill it. Trying to blast through it is for boys playing with toys - not for transporting men and material to the other side. Were the ENTIRE AREA in conditions like the mud hole, then I'd call it a swamp, and the army likely would use more specialized equipment, depending on the era, a Weasel, Otter, SUSV, etc - or a GOER - the former being vehicles that would tend to float on top of the mud, the later tending to push through the mud.

The deuce is intended to transport 2 1/2 tons over most conditions world wide with out significant modification. From arctic to desert, paved road to mud. Toward that end it is a series of compromises - with one of the compromising factors being cost. The video Bjorn mentions - and others taken at APG show tactical vehicles being tested, and compared to each other, and exposing their vulnerabilities in mobility. Its been a number of years since I watched this, but IIRC, the M35A2 did not perform off-road as well as the Gama Goat, for example, IIRC, but did perform better than the M151. A GOER will drive places a deuce won't - the deuce will run off and leave the GOER on what we (hobbyists) consider a road. (Keep in mind that what the army considers a road, we would consider an off-road trail. "Off-road" to the army tends to mean 'turn here and drive through that field/swamp/forest/river' - "on road" tends to mean 'follow those wagon tracks'.) Hence, amongst the army's tactical vehcle fleet, the deuce until recently has been about average in off-road performance.

HTH,
David Doyle

amanco

I am sure you will notice the Duce axles on the high rise Dodge. The biggest downfall I find with these trucks is the mud that the axle bulldozes and the mud getting in the belts & the belt failing. (best to use an electric water pump and a bed mounted radiator). The biggest factor of a capable truck is to run high RPM's and not over heat. I have taken my M37 to a couple of these mud runs (though I have never taken the plunge :shock: ) and people really ooow and awwe my truck. I like being the only MV in a sea of Chevys, Dodges and Fords and just running around watching these people. Which is what I plan on doing with my Willys when I get it done.

Attachments

spicergear

I think the frame problem on that green Chevy was compounded by a certain sticker in the rear window. :D

Rizzo- Nice avatar on that other site! HA!

...Rockwells with Ouverson shafts will actually live with great big implement tire like those--

rizzo

spicergear said:
I think the frame problem on that green Chevy was compounded by a certain sticker in the rear window. :D

Rizzo- Nice avatar on that other site! HA!

...Rockwells with Ouverson shafts will actually live with great big implement tire like those--
sticker: haha

avitar: thanks got it off pirate i think

Ouverson: Randy says they make them as strong as the 5 tons. what do you think?

side note: Our club may be in TGW video. they came up this summer for a bog a couple months ago. Chuck, Matt and a camera man. "road rage" form MN came down and Captain RPM and a few guys came from NJ. I'm not into the whole monster truck thing with my heart and soul, but it was a fun time. I may got to FL one of these years for mudfest.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks