• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

carbon monoxide!

billyzz

I gave myself exhaust poisoning
there is a huge leak under the truck
and I got gassed three days ago
I can still smell and taste it
I ended up with flu like symptoms
today I am going to try and get under there and cut out the bad stuff and replace it

It didn't seem that bad.
But it was
That crap is dangerous

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dangerous it is! I got carbon monoxide poisoning from working in a shop where they did not ventilate exhaust gases properly. I got to where I would have the symptom of my ears starting to go "dull", my eyes would have a shimmer of lights in them, and I best sit down until it passed before I fell down due to balance loss. The doctor told me to get out of that shop, which I did, and that it would take about 2 years for it to clear out of my system, which it did. After that for a long time if I happened to get behind a vehicle in traffic that was running rich I would feel sick. Some years before that I was using a tractor that had an exhaust stack too short on it. When the wind was right the exhaust gases would be noticeable but like you did not seem too bad. I ended up with the same problem you did. You can bet I lengthened that stack!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I spent a night in the hospital because a low exhaust on a crane, I realized something was wrong, headache from he11, no balance (dizzy), though I was going to toss my cookies , got rid of my load, passed out getting out of the cab do not remember hitting the ground, ALL of this took about 1 minute.

So guys, this is NOTHING to fool with, it WILL kill you quicker then a ny city thug.

FrankUSMC

Over on the CJ2A forum, one of the forum members was killed this week by carbon monoxide. His jeep got stuck in a stream and he called a wreaker to pull it out. He kept the jeep running and when a wrecker showed up he was dead.

It don't play.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

dmetalmiki

That IS a DEADLY WARNING we should all heed. I get odd looks when members of our group "leave the reo running" for the required time. HUMPH! no way, If they do this in the workshop I HOLD MY BREATH go in and shut the offender off. Yep it is along time to hold my breath in and out the shop..(I always INSIST they (the person doing this follow me out)) After all it just MIGHT be "very LONG while" before he/they draw another breath....If EVER. Please be AWARE and BE SAFE.

74M35A2

CO is hard to get out of your system, blood loves carbon monoxide for some reason if you had it real bad they would stick you in a hyperbaric chamber and squeeze it out.
Correct. CO is absorbed 250 times faster than oxygen by the human body, due to the molecule shape/size and binding mechanism. I was CO just poisoned a year ago piloting a 48' twin engine boat from the top fly bridge with the full canvas on the rear lower deck. The exhaust rolled up the back along the trip while up on plane. Felt fine when we left, then flu like symptoms, then puked, all as stated above. Twin Ford 427 Interceptor gasoline engines. Ran great, but not exactly emission optimized....If you work in your garage for hours on end, especially with any type of heater, I'd recommend a CO detector with digital display. They are relatively low cost now, say $20 at home improvement stores, and even less online. I even installed one in our garage at work. My paragraph formatting still has not returned. This really is not drafted out as a long continuous run-on paragraph, but that is how it is going to look when I hit "Submit Reply"......

Shirehorse

I got CO poisoned a few years ago when a train I was the conductor on got stuck in a tunnel.

The tunnel in which this took place is nearly a mile long, and at it's construction, was allegedly the largest unsupported tunnel in North America. Consequently, since it was built in 1905, it only has one ventilation shaft, and it's not very effective.

If something happens in this tunnel, we have to immediately cut our locomotives away and get out, or the locomotives will fill the tunnel with smoke. Well, on that day, we had a junk SD70MAC in the lead, and of course, we go into emergency right about the midpoint of the tunnel.

I remember cutting the locomotives off the rest of the train, looking towards the head end, and remember the headlights of the lead locomotive obscured by swirling exhaust. Total time from emergency start to cutting the engines away was under two minutes. I have a hazy memory of climbing up on the steps of the rear locomotive, giving the engineer the go ahead with my light, and feeling really tired. I somehow got up to the head end and made the emergency call on the radio, and the ride in the whambulance to a local hospital. I'd rather never have that happen to me again.

I have plans to install a CO meter in my vehicle, especially when using the fuel fired heater, just in case. A little prevention goes a long way.

Speedwoble

Just remember, carbon monoxide is odorless by itself. SO don't rely on the smell of exhaust to be a warning. But it might be the only warning you get. If you smell it, get ventilation.

m109a2

What is wrong with you people it is not sunshine coming out of that pipe when your eyes water,smelles bad or or any other things that make you think that you are in the wrong place get out of there open a bay door whatever just do not whine to us how stupit you have become.Al

billyzz

What is wrong with you people it is not sunshine coming out of that pipe when your eyes water,smelles bad or or any other things that make you think that you are in the wrong place get out of there open a bay door whatever just do not whine to us how stupit you have become.Al
Jeeze dude

calm down willya?
is there an ignore button on this website?
unwarranted insults I can live without.

Last edited:

jpg

I use this as my key ring. A foot from the CUCV exhaust, it measures about 150 PPM. In the cab, the highest I've measured is 8 PPM, after idling without a breeze. I read that OSHA says 50 PPM is the safe limit for 8 hr exposure. I've measured 5 PPM in my wife's Jetta, sitting in traffic.

I trust the guys at Aeromedix to carry solid gear. I'm not connected with them, just a happy customer. They have newer models available now.

http://www.aeromedix.com/safety-equ...ctors/pocket-co-300-carbon-monoxide-detector/
pco300-keys.jpg

dmetalmiki

\\\\\\geeez! some replies don't bear any merrit. The thing that is "WRONG" with people (m109a2) is people and or families even bieng knocked out (even killed) by ODOURLESS fumes they are NOT even aware off. Think barbeques as a start, house heating equiptment and boilers, the list goes on (unfortunately)..no intention at bieng STUPID, just having a seemingly good every day event time, or routine. IF people are NOT MADE AWARE....they will NOT BE AWARE> (my rant, and alert).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks