• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road-Trip Food - The Good, The Bad, and The Unidentifiable

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On road trips many things might be eaten. Hopefulle we know what they are before we eat them. Usually we take the vendor's wword for it.. but even then there are doubts. There should be a place to post pictures of unusual truck-stop fare and things on yer plate ya aint sure what it is.

So, I'll start off with the thing that prompted the need for such a topic, the "Chicken Stickie". Should you be traveling through central Arkansas, you might find one at a certain truck stop. Do NOT eat this. I am still not sure what certain parts of it were.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Road-Trip Food - The Good, The Bad, and The Unidentifiab

It looks like the beak at the top left of that "Chicken Stickie".
When I head out of state, I like to stop at a Flying J for fuel and a snack. At the warm food counter, they have a "Good" chicken cordon blue sandwich. I usually can't resist grabbing one for the road. On my last trip though, as I walked in to pay for fuel I was overcome by the smell of Hot Wings! I thought why not. At the counter I saw them and they were fresh hot and steamin! I asked for a bunch of them and as the counter person put them into a bag I noticed something else in the hot foods section that I could not identify. Intrigued, I asked what it was ( my best guess was deep fried mushrooms but I knew they were not!). She says, "those are chicken gizzards". I said "Hmm, better try some of them too"!(my neighbor makes the best gizzard stew) She cringed a bit and said" you ain't from round here are you"? I said "nope", wondering what she meant by that. Anyway, I got back on the highway and up to speed and realized I forgot napkins and a drink! So like an idiot, I opened the bag of gizzards. Boy they looked good (even though I could not tell what they were under the counter) , smelled good(like most fried foods), but I still had some concern because they were prepared nothing like what I am used to. As I tried to bite one in two, I realized I couldn't bite through it! So I just stuffed it whole into my mouth(I had a funny thought of an EMT finding me crashed into a ditch, dead from "suffocation by Gizzard"). I heard sounds that I cannot describe with words as I desperately tried to chew and swallow the Gizzard down. I finally got it down and had many thoughts racing through my head. So after some thought I decided that I'd try one more! I thought maybe just that one was overcooked! So I looked over the pile and picked what looked like a good one and again tried to bite it in two. With no surprise I was not able too. So I stuffed it in also and proceeded to hear the same sounds as before. After that one I decided it was hot wing time, even though I forgot a drink and napkins.(I did have a drink and paper towels in the camper in the back of my truck but I was up to speed and headed home). As I opened the bag of Hot Wings i was overwhelmed by the "hot smell" as I inhaled (had that same thought of an EMT finding me in the ditch but with a bunch of wings on my lap). I noticed that the hot sauce had begun to congeal into some thing less appealing that they looked under the food counter. As I picked one up and lifted it to my mouth I noticed(worried about dropping it) it was stuck to my fingers. I mean I could open my hand and it was stuck to me like it was glued to my fingers( sort of like super-gluing your fingers together). Well it tasted great(much better than the gizzards) but it was about as hot as I have ever had( and I like hot). I decided I better eat them all fast as possible then pull over to clean up my fingers. As I am about to finish the wings, My cell rings and I was compelled to answer it as it was my wife and I was late and still three hours from home. Well, that was the last straw. I had to pull over and clean up and get a drink (as I spoke to her my mouth was burning with every word spoken). I guess next time I will stick with the chicken cordon blue. I love the temptation of truck-stop foods. I'm not sure though, if I would have tried a Chicken Stickie if it were under the hot food counter!

alphadeltaromeo

:funny: I grew up in Asia...the Philippines actually (14 years there) and ate lots of things that were delish, but some of it I had no idea what I was eating :D

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

My dad was in Southeast Asia from 1963 to 1967, Vietnam most of the time. 12B, spent a lot of time building roads and bridges that our convoys rolled over until the end of the war. Anyways, he told me that when it came to Asian food, I could have anything I wanted - Japanese, Chinese, Thai, etc. it was all good. But DON'T EAT VIETNAMESE FOOD! He said whatever walked or crawled by the restaurant went in the pot. I think he found out from experience! :)

Bill W

I was trailering my M-37 from So.Fla to Thompson,Ga. to a PW Rally and I stopped by a brand new Krystals and bought some burgers, about a half hr after eating said burgers I went careening into the parking lot of a local do drop in gas station ran in as fast as my pinched together knees would let me and screamed for the directions to the restroom to where upon entering I had to pause a moment and figure out which was the toilet and which was the garbage pail. I was sick for 3 days after that. NEVER EVER buy a burger from a girl who has her boyfriends name tatooed on her neck!!

kcimb

Re: RE: Road-Trip Food - The Good, The Bad, and The Unidenti

Bill W said:
I was trailering my M-37 from So.Fla to Thompson,Ga. to a PW Rally and I stopped by a brand new Krystals and bought some burgers, about a half hr after eating said burgers I went careening into the parking lot of a local do drop in gas station ran in as fast as my pinched together knees would let me and screamed for the directions to the restroom to where upon entering I had to pause a moment and figure out which was the toilet and which was the garbage pail. I was sick for 3 days after that. NEVER EVER buy a burger from a girl who has her boyfriends name tatooed on her neck!!
I had crystals while at MEPS...I will never eat there again, it is absolutely disgusting and the burgers are TINY.....

Mike_Pop

Interesting topic...
I just passed through Central Arkansas and stopped at a local deli/gas station. I saw the chickie sticks but opted for the chicken chimichangas. They were actually pretty good.

Just my 2 cents.

CGarbee

Always keep that bag of mini pretzels in the truck with you... along with a can or two of ginger ale... Especially if you purchased your burger from the girl wtih the boyfriend's name tatooed on her neck... :)

Seriously, I saw Bill after his experience at the Krystals and decided that it was a place that I never needed to try...

I seem to do well eating on the road... Perhaps it's because I look for vehicles with Government tags in the parking lot, and/or a blend of high end cars and low end trucks...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Wrecker's rules of the road (and living in general)

Never play cards with a guy named "Ace".

Never shoot dice with a guy named "Slick".

Never buy a car from a guy named "Red".

And NEVER, EVER eat at a place called "Mom's". :shock:

spicergear

On the 2700 mile trip back from TTC I had about 3 hours sleep and ate nothing but chocolate, Mt Dew, and Energy drinks as I was petrified to sleep. That mixture turns into a chunk of porcelain in your innards. Really...it clanked.

On a trip out to OK to do some business with fellow SS'ers...a buddy in Memphis (took the lower route out) gave me a two pound block of sharp cheddar. Don't ever do that...four days later it turned into a baseball glove. Ouch.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
oh yeah the cheese.. try that with vicodin some time.. the baseball glove becomes concrete. I am in Atlanta on biz. right now BTW, and sick from eating something, unknown what. Nice,I have a customer visit in the AM then fly back to DFW.

Mike Pop,
What station is that and where? we need to identify the threat! Was it really the same thing? It would have been in a glass front counter to the right of the main counter, and the station would have had a 3 FT tall sort-of divider between that area and an eating area with several tables in it. Ugh!!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This old thread needs renewed, c'mon, it's fun!
Let's hear from more members about MV recovery/road trip's

"things best looked at but not eaten"

Got to be a lot of stories by now!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks