• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel tank sending unit

Sam27

I see three fuel lines going to my sending unit. What is the third one? There'd be fuel from the tank, fuel back to the tank, and ?? Maybe vent? But where does the line go, since there's no charcoal cannister or anything like that?

Not urgent, I'm just curious and I haven't taken the time to trace the lines.

85-m1028

the third is just a line that pops out right behind the rear cab frame crossmember and points straight down, it has a little rubber boot on the end to plug it off. my guess is to drain the tank!!

Sam27

Yeah, I just noticed that. I've got the tank off for replacement and here's this stray fuel line just blocked off 4" from the sending unit. I'm glad to hear that it's that way on yours too and not just some hack job from the previous owner!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That line may also be used by the arctic kit with the fuel burning swingfire heater. My M1009 had a plugged tee on one line going to the fuel pump but the 1008 might be different. Just a thought!

Obijuank5

So I found this thread a little after I found a huge puddle of diesel on the asphalt.

What is this line and why does it have fuel coming out of it. Seemingly spontaneous.
Maybe related: filled it up a few days ago.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I found this thread a little after I found a huge puddle of diesel on the asphalt.

What is this line and why does it have fuel coming out of it. Seemingly spontaneous.
Maybe related: filled it up a few days ago.

Didnt the 11 year old thread already answer your question?
Very clear to me on what and where it was. And you plugged your line in that exact same location.

No flame intended. Just wondering why you asked what was already answered.

If I missed something I apologize

Rvitko

Hmm, interesting to see this, I changed mine a few months ago and the replacement from LMC only had 2, I assumed the 3rd was because a gasoline sending unit was used as a fix sometime back as the evidence pointed to the tank being replaced in the past. I figured for gasoline their would be a emission canister it hooked to. The LMC one sucks if anyone was wondering it basically has the float misaligned so at empty you have 5 gallons left and it it goes about 25% past full when full. Otherwise, it is better than perpetually full which is what I had.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TMs show that line drain and tells what year they stopped extending it towards the tire.
83-84 I think
Not Sure

Skinny

When I replaced my sending unit years ago I remember it being an additional feed but it does not go the to the bottom of the tank. So yes, you could run a fuel fired heater or drain most of the tank using this line. My unit just had a rubber cap on the sending unit metal line on top of the tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks