• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michigan Vic-1 Owners

Armada

Are there any Southern Michigan members out there with a working vic-1 intercom that I could meet up with?
I cannot get my system to function and would like to test my components on a working system to try to find the problem. These are all new components and the settings are correct but it will still not work. It is nothing but an electronic boat anchor.
Let me know. Thanks!!
Paul

ptg530C

Hey-
I am in almont by boardman and vd. and have a similar problem with mine. Did you see the article on them in MV mag a couple of years ago? Are you sure your headsets are good? Murphy's surplus has new headsets with mics for $49. Whats your set doing and what do you want to test? Give eme a call at 586.354.8766
Pete

Boatcarpenter

Paul, post up what is or is not happening. I don't know a lot, but mine works so maybe I can help. Do you know about the local and remote setting in the MT-1029 mount. Radio only one way, with VIC-1 the other I believe. Simple changeover. PM for link if you want instructions. Also, I would be more than willing to get my trusty digital VOM out and take some readings for you if you want.
Good Luck,
BC

jatonka

I am running a VIC-1 in my Guntruck, Aces & Eights. By the Grace Of God, the first time I tried it most of it worked, just one mic was bad. I am in Upstate NY, Feel free to PM me, the truck is in the garage and I can answer questions easily. John T

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 things. If you have C-10456 crew boxes they need the center plug cap in place to work and I've had more cable issues than amp or box issues.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I couldn't help you more Paul.
The VIC-1 system is not reverse polarity protected and the TM says to use the MX-7777 with it. A careless installer can blow the amplifier in a hurry.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can connect a LS-454 speaker (as used with RT524/246) to either jack on the crew box and should hear it. If the amp is working and crew box and headset are switched to intercom, you should hear a small amount of background hiss in the headset or speaker. Note the headset audio power level is low, so don't expect blaring sound from the speaker. The impedance for speaker and mike is 150 ohms if that will help. The VIC-1 is a 'good' model because it can be serviced by a tech, so by no means should it be discarded if it is dead. The VICV-4 is potted.. when it dies, it's a pretty box with a light.

Armada

Thanks for the offers, guys. I have the mx-7777 supressor for it and the problem is the same wether it's hooked up or bypassed. The problem is I can't transmit voice, but I can hear anything else in the headset, rt524, electronic switching, static, etc. All components are NIB new. I spent a long time on the phone with ZiggyO going through everything. Right now it's all packed up and on it's way to the east coast for diagnosing. It is heavily insured so if I'm lucky it will turn up missing. In trying to keep my MV more authentic by using this system, I can say I'm not impressed with it. Maybe I'm just that one in 1000 guy whose won't function properly. I'll post what the problem is if it's diagnosed, if not I'll give directions to a new coral reef.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your not 1 in a thousand Paul. I had VIC-1 systems in 2 trucks and stripped them out and sold them. They were very uncomfortable here in warm floida and while they did cut noise, they weren't that great with wind. Guess armor stuff doesn't have a wind issue.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MV intercoms are not for everyone.. the mikes have to be right agaist the lips, making it hard to smoke.. the things are hot and sweaty. they cost a bunch of money, but having one that is working well is a joy. Note that on the RT unit, there is a separate audio amp in the radio that is for feeding the intercom. Indeed, one for the speaker jacks on the front of the radio, and one for the intercom. It's possible for the radio to have this failed and the intercom will not then play the radio's reception.

Boatcarpenter

Sorry to hear about that situation Paul. Maybe I was lucky, but once I had collected all my pieces and gotten them installed, hit the right switches and it worked perfectly. Have only taken one ride with a passenger and it was quiet and very easy to communicate. I remember Bjorn saying once I think that the bailout connectors can be fussy, which they are, but mine work ok.
Good luck with the testing,
BC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks