• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Distributor Question

shell shock

Hi guys; Can someone tell me why there is two vacume lines on the distributor?? The reason I am asking , is because my M220 came without a carburator and I just located a older style carb ( non military) and there is no vacume ports on it. Could a guy hook the two vacume lines to the intake manifold?? This will be temporary, just in tell I can find an original. I hooked up a vacume gun on the lower port on the dist. and it will not advance, maybe I have a problem there. the lower end is wire sealed, so i thought best to stay out of there until I find out a little more on the vacume system. Thanks a bunch :confused:

MVtrucker

Those lines are very important! This is a vent system to rid the distributor of harmful gasses. Without the vent, you'll be constantly replacing points.
I might still have a correct carb in my parts, I'll have to look.

shell shock

MVtrucker
Thanks for the reply; So I take it one of those lines is not to advance the spark? If it's a vacume system one line lets air in and the other line draws air out. Is that correct?
You sure have a great web site.

MVtrucker

Shell,
You are correct. The distributor is mechanical advance. Thanks for the compliment on my site, there's a lot to see, for sure. Somewhere around thirty pages, in all.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hook one line up to a vacuum source on the carb, the other to the intake air pipe and you are good. This will draw air through the distributor. They serve to keep the distributor dry. On my M37, I put the end of one next to the exhaust manifold so it sucked in warm air.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks