• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151s built in Asia?

KaiserM109

I know that a lot of CJ3Bs were built in Japan in the '50s. The South Vietnamese had them by the thousands. The question is were M151s ever built outside of the US?

I saw a program on the History Channel last night and they were driving an M151 around Cambodia. It had combat lights and the scalloped front fenders with the lights set into the fender. It also had a civilian steering wheel, a padded dash and nice upholstery.

Was this originally a US military vehicle that has been nicely retrofitted or was it like thousands of CJ3Bs built on contract in Asia with modifications to the design?

JeepMan

Probably sold/given after the hostilities ended. We used to have a Laotian nieghbor that told me that his uncle (or whatever) was given a Jeep for his role in a operation.

nattieleather

Asa far as I know Ford, Willys/Kaiser, and AMG were the only manufactures of M151. I agree above probably a left over from the Veitnam war. Maybe even just left there when we pulled out. Then fixed up by the local population.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks