• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CJ10-A aircraft tug

rgregj

Didn't know where to post, but here goes. One of my buddies just bought a 1986 CJ 10A aircraft tug. It has the Nissan diesel engine and 727 auto trans. My question to the group, does anyone have any tech manuals or related info. He is concerned with the lack of power and I can't find any military related information.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think LOGSA has the manuals, but there is a good amount of info out there on Google for that rig. A lot of offroaders like the CJ-10 tugs since the gearing is so low.

rockcity

Bringing back an old thread cause it interests me, a lot.

I used to have one for several years, even pulled the engine, trans, TC, axles, body, interior, etc. etc.

For some of the hard to find parts for the vehicle, contact JESCO in CA (Joe's Equipment Sales Company).

Forgot the number, but they are listed in the 1-800 information listings. Last time I talked to them, they had all kinds of parts for them and even had about 10 of them sitting on the yard.

PM me if they need more information

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think that is the same motor used in the International Scout diesels from the 80's. There are probably Scout forums that will have alot of useful information. When I had my CJ-7 , I watched those tugs on GL hoping for a cheap one to be a donor on an engine transplant, but they always went for more than I was willing to pay.

rockcity

The scout diesle is the SD-33t and the CJ10 diesel was the SD-33, non turbo. There were a couple little differences, mostly with the turbo.

I ended up finding the one I bought at the DRMO in Lakehurst, NJ. It didn't run, but with a little wiring and a glow plug relay, it was running! Drove it around the parking lot, then parted most of it out cause I wanted just the body. that was back in my younger days and now I wish I had kept it complete. I still have the rear axle as it was a D70 with 4.88 gears and a limited slip. its now under my buggy and is a nice axle. Wish I could find another one for a steal like the first one...

nkawtg

Since the subject was brought up......

I remember the AGE dispatch at my base driving these Jeeps around the flightline, and taking the odd one for a quick cruise. Since they were designed to pull aircraft power units and other ground equipment we used (not used as aircraft tugs since we had C-141 cargo aircraft), they were geared appropriately, and thus didn't go fast. Additionally, they had funky spark arresters on the exhaust that really hampered its performance.

Now the real question.......is that Nissan engine worth transplanting in a small pickup (not for towing/hauling, but with the purpose of fuel economy and longevity)? The cost of buying one and the work to retrofit it may not be recovered from the mileage offset, but I just can't help thinking "What can I do with that......" every time I see OD iron for sale.

Any and all opinions welcome....

sak00

I'm wondering the same thing. My CJ Scrambler's 6 cyl is old and tired. Would It be worthwhile to swap that diesel into it in order to burn WVO or Mileage benefits. Or just look for another 258 gas 6 cyl????????

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have seen claims on the internet of 35-40 mpg with a 4bt in a wrangler. If the price is right and a new engine is needed anyway, I would say its a worthwhile swap. I could only get 15 mpg with my 4.2.

rockcity

From others that I have talked to, they have gotten, on average, 22-25mpg on that SD-33 engine. I'm not sure about the turbo version thats in the Scouts, but I would think those would be better and have more power. On a side note, the bolt pattern on the trans (727) is an oddball one. If I recall correctly, it is a bolt pattern of the same 727s that came in a lot of campers. The bolt pattern of the SD 33 may be normal, but there was about a 1.5" aluminum "factory" adapter to mate to the 727. I would assume the SD33 in the CJ10 would have the same bolt pattern of the SD 33T as in the scouts. This would be nice because the Scout 727 is a decent trans and has decent transfercase options.

Those SD 33 engines are worth a little $$$ if they are in good shape. I think I got over $900 for mine when I parted out the CJ10, and that was back in 1998. Of course, the CJ10 had less than 16K miles on it but roughly 700 hours on it and ran top notch. For that much coin and a trans and T-case, you'd better off looking for cheaper alternatives.

rizzo

1x1_Speed_Craig said:
fukkinrizzo said:

I can't reply to the thread, as it requires registration with the site (I don't really care to sign up for yet another site). I will mention that:

1. I own the Air Force Service Manual for the CJ-10a, so I can probably answer specific questions about parts/service procedures (but not really troubleshooting).
2. Jesco (Joe's Equipment) supplied the Air Force with the SD-33 motors for the '10as. I just ordered some stuff from them.
3. binderbulletin.org has a whole forum dedicated to diesel Scouts, which also used the SD-33/SD-33T motor.
4. rockcity is only partially correct in his reply. A normally-aspirated SD-33 was used in Scouts from '76-'79. 1980 (the last year of production for Scouts) was the only year that a turbo version was used. binderbulletin has a thread about the differences between the Scout SD-33 and tug SD-33.
5. ~25mpg is achievable with the SD-33. It's not a super powerful motor for highway driving, but it's supposed to be a good, long-running reliable diesel.

I hope that helps!

Craig

from Craig on GL4x4

hope it helps

rockcity

Thanks for the clairity as I thought all the SD33 engines in the scouts were the turbo version. I'm not a scout owner, so I'm going off of what I've read and heard.

JESCO is a great resource. They can answer a lot of questions about the CJ10a. This is where I've purchased several parts for mine. They even faxed over some wiring diagrams without question when I needed to get the SD 33 wired up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks