• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge w250

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: Dodge w250

I have 3 or 4 places that carry sheet metal for the older Dodges. If I can remember, I'll post the links when I get home tonight. Or you could post up over at www.ramchargercentral.com and some of the guys there can probably help you out in the meantime.

tommi3520

Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge w250

Elwenil said:
I have 3 or 4 places that carry sheet metal for the older Dodges. If I can remember, I'll post the links when I get home tonight. Or you could post up over at www.ramchargercentral.com and some of the guys there can probably help you out in the meantime.
thx Elwenil, ill be waiting for the links

Another thing about my dodge, im pretty much restoring it ground up and my plan is to buy a 318 motor and i have 727 trans and np205. Do you think regarding fuel economy that a 4 speed trans would be better? because im open for everything. But it may come down to what i can get here in Iceland, not that many parts lying around here.

TB

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge w250

On average a manual will get slightly better mileage but it's a heavy truck and nothing is going to make a huge difference. My advice is to go with what you like. If you really want a manual, you can swap it out but I can only imagine the struggle it would be to locate a Dodge NP435 4speed in Iceland. Now if you were to swap in a 5 speed, then you might see some improvement in economy on the highway but again, it's still a big heavy truck and a lot of your gas is burned up in acceleration.

I have a 1988 Ramcharger with a factory 4 speed and it doesn't get any better mileage than my old '84 Ramcharger which was a 727 automatic. I thought it would get worse when I swapped in the 8 lug Dana 60s with 4.10 gears but I guess the lower gearing helps get the weight moving so it cancels out the higher cruising RPM in my daily commute.

Anyway, I honestly wouldn't swap to a 4speed just for the economy because I don't think you are going to save a lot considering the time and trouble you are going to run into gathering all the parts to make the swap. Even here in the States it can be difficult to locate all the pedals, linkage and bellhousings to do a 4 speed swap. Well, it's not too had to find the stuff, but it's hard to get someone to let go of it once you have found it, lol. I have a spare NP435, NP241 and all the related mechanical linkage pieces here but I am keeping them as spares for my trucks. I guess a 5 speed might be worth the effort but it depends on what the parts would cost and I would research it completely before attempting it since getting it all to fit in your truck with the 205 can be a hassle.

Eh, just stick with the 727, lol.

Hoot_223

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge w250

i have a np4530 that needs a new shift fork, with a 318 bellhousing i wanna go back to the 727

tommi3520

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge w250

Ya okay i´ll stick with the 727, i think thats the best choice.

I also need this plate right here, do sombody sell those?

(waiting for the links)

TB

Attachments

Elwenil

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge w250

Sorry it took me so long to post these. Had to do a few last minute adjustments to the Ramcharger Project. She goes in tomorrow for her first Virginia State Inspection since 2005. Anyway I don;t know for sure that these guys deal outside the US, but it would be strange if at least one of them wouldn't be willing to work with you.

http://www.autobodyspecialt.com/

http://www.rustrepair.com/Dodge_pickup.htm

http://raybuck.com/wsm/c-146_1972-1993_dodge_fullsize_pickupramcharger.html

I thought I had more but that's all I had saved in my Favorites.

The panel you pictured is called the core support. Basically is supports the radiator core as well as the grille and locates the headlamps. It should be available and if you are in the market for a used one, one from any D or W series truck from 1981 to 1990 should fit. It's common for the bottom to rust out at the body mount. Sometimes it's easier just to weld in some sheetmetal to plate the rusted area then replace the support. Straight ones can be difficult to find used.

Again, check out Ramcharger Central sometime. It's more than just Ramchargers, we deal with all Mopars but mostly D & W series trucks from 1972 to 1993. A great place to find information on problems as well as some great tech info on modifications and swaps. What SteelSoldiers is to military vehicles, Ramcharger Central is to dodge trucks.

tractorfix

Iceland. Wow, you must be a diehard. I'm in Canada and I can't get parts. Thanks to 9-11 and all the new rules and regs on surplus dealers, its very hard to find those willing or legally able to "export" to Canada( we're on the other end of a bridge or out west, a gate) I may as well be on another planet. So, I wait until I need a few things and drive 450 miles to Saturn Surplus to get my loot. Unfortuneatly, as good as those guys are, M880 parts are drying up fast and they don't have the inventory they once did, so I still have to dig up a lot of stuff. CURSE EVERY LIL RED EXPRESS TRUCK AND WARLOCK THOSE GUYS USED UP ALL OUR PARTS!!!!!!!!!!!! Apologies as my intent was not to hijack this thread but that appears to be what I have done.

Agree with elwenil, weld up the rad support to be better than new

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

There's a HUGE offroad interest in Iceland, believe it or not. Four Wheeler magazine did a write-up on those guys years ago, and they REALLY modify their rigs for offroad use!

tommi3520

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Dodge w250

Ok, so these parts should fit my truck?

http://www.rustrepair.com/repair_panels/onlinecat.htm?r=ru&p=sm

(81-93 Pick Up/Ramcharger)??

Tomas

p.s.

this is how my truck looked like when i left my garage few days ago. When i bought it the frame it self was in bad shape, so a friend welded a new frame from the house and all the way back (new frame under the bed) and the bed itself was in bad shape too, the floor was rusted out but it looked very good everywhere else, because one of the previous owners had spent a looong time using filler and then painted over it, but you cant put much filler in the bed floor, so i found another bed thats solid but has surface rust

im gonna have sombody sandblasing the frame, bed and house and then i can see what im dealing with, and weld where i need to weld and then ill paint it.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks