• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone moved a truck by rail?

halftrack

Looking at my options. Need to move a M813 from PA to New Orleans. Is moving it by rail a option or is it cheaper to haul on back of flatbed? Going rate for a truck is $2.25 a mile and I only see that going up every month.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I moved many MVs by truck but it was at a time when fuel was a little more reasonable.

rmgill

The Railroad is supposed to be cheaper. If you can drive it on/off the flat bed then you'll have less trouble. Finding a dock for this at both ends will be tricky though. I think NS should cover the route from end to end though. If they don't CSX should.

texas-5-ton

Bad thing about shipping it on rail is that in all reality, it will probably get vandalized on the way. I am a conductor on the U.P. and most military trains are "high priority" shipments so they keep them moving. As far as shipping your truck, it would probably do fine but you would probably have broken windshields,mirrors,lights, etc. Remember, kids are mean as helll these days.

We hauled a MASSIVE HUGE rubber tire loader back several years ago and someone had shot an arrow into the side of one of these massive tires. Kinda funny seeing an arrow hanging out of the side of it but I was just glad that I wasn't the one paying for the tire.

halftrack

Just got off the phone with a NS sales rep and as much as he would like to do business with me, it was just cheaper to send it via truck due to being just a single truck. Oh well!

jeli

If the 813 could make the trip have the 818 buyer drive it to you then drive the 818 home. I'm assuming it's in Chambersburg.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Just get a tool and spare parts kit together and go for it. If you need to stop for repairs near Nashville. I'll be glad to help if I can. I'll PM my phone #.

area52

shipping

kcimb said:
Just a warning for those who are new at shipping vehicles -

I am currently engaged in a legal battle with a shipper off of Uship. He had great feedback but in my hurry to get my truck shipped back here, I did not verify his credentials and he ripped me off for $831.00, my deposit with him.
Paypal was no help as the transaction was not a "tangible" item.

Make sure you verify license and such before sending any money.

I a sure ACE will chime in here.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: shipping

If I was not in Korea I would be headed to Chambersburg to drive it for you and buy your 818 and drive it home. Just the cost of being in the Army and not yet retired.

I hope you get it worked out;.

jasonjc

RE: shipping

I know I pay more with the wreaker service I use , but after seeing thing like the above post by area52. It better to pay a little more for the peace of mind.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks