• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to double your fuel capacity

Desert Rat

Hello Everyone,

Here are the pics I promised to show once I finished the fuel crossover project. I have two cut-off valves just incase I spring a leak somewhere. I hope the pics help y'all see how the project was done.

Monster Man

sweet deal! now you'll never have to stop for fuel. Plus it adds some protection to the driveshaft there, double functional

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea of having extra fuel capacity so I can buy more where it's cheaper. As far as driving farther, my bladder is the limiting factor on distance. I've always got juice or a soda with me and drink till me eyeballs float.

Loose Deuce

I would like to try that myself some day. Right now I have two 55 gal drums in the back with a hose for when I need it, but its very messy sometimes. [:)]

Desert Rat

Guys,

I dropped the spare and rack for the tank. I bought the tank for $40. After all the work I've done lately I'm hoping for an improvement in fuel milage to the 12 to 13 mpg range. I'll have real data in about three weeks or so. My aim is to do 1400 miles with both tanks topped off. Other modifications will follow when I'm in Houston along with pics.

Albin

Desert Rat,

Yea, gravity always works. I had a GV on my '85 Nissan and I'm about to put one on my '85 Toyota 4Runner, 40 gallons should work pretty good!

Questions:

- What size tubing/fuel line did you use?

- What's your procedure for filling the tanks? Is the fuel line big enough to fill from one side or do you have to drive to get the other tank near the station fuel nozzle?

Thanks,

Al

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as filling two tanks, at truck stops you will find that every pump also has a "satellite" pump for filling the other side. Kind of a nuisance if you only have one tank since both nozzles have to be off the "hook" even if only one is used.
I can see having the extra fuel storage capacity when using biodiesel and/or cooking oil for fuel...few places to get a fill-up. :)

mangus580

They both have to be off?? I havent seen one like that yet. All the ones I have seen have a Primary (which must always be off) and the secondary, (use at your own wish).

fredrader

The primary pump at truckstops (The one always on the drivers side) will work without the "satellite" pump being turned on but our tanks are on the passenger side so in order to use the "satellite" pump
you do have to remove the nozzle and lift the lever on the primary pump and lay it on the ground then you can use the "satellite" pump ..It is kinda a pain but it is great when you have tanks on both sides..

The semi I drive holds 200gal and it fills up pretty fast when using both pumps [thumbzup]

mangus580

I guess I didnt realize you could only pull into the pumps in one direction... [:)]

shows how many truck stops I go to :roll:

we have a local station here that has a setup like this, but you can pull in, either direction if you want... and their pump is FAST :jumpin: but I dont get there much... the station I usually use, is slower than molasses at the north pole... :banghead: :banghead:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No wonder I didn't see the problem. The tank on my little deuce tractor is on the left.

Desert Rat

Albin,
I used two inch lline to connect the tanks and some angle iron for supporting the line. I pump both tanks at the same time so I don't worry about drain-back.

Albin

Desert Rat said:
Albin,
I used two inch lline to connect the tanks and some angle iron for supporting the line. I pump both tanks at the same time so I don't worry about drain-back.
2"!!!

Both of my GV configurations used 3/8" line. Obviously, things are going to be a little bigger in Deuce-world than what I'm used to.

Slick, simple system. I plan to do the same.

Thanks,

Al

Desert Rat

I'll be taking more pics this weekend. BTW, I intended to say 1/2 inch. I missed a button or two last night. Sorry. the O.D. is 1 inch but inside is 1/2 inch just like the fuel line.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks