• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

centrifuge.....

ygmir

Hi all,
anyone have a source for an affordable centrifuge for cleaning oils for fuel use?
Also, anyone have experiece with this process, that, would be willing to share such knowledge?

I've seen a nice video on how one will clean used motor oil and it comes out almost clear again.......seems that would burn fine.......
"Simple Centrifuge" I think, is the name of the company.
But, they're expensive.......
I've heard of them used on marine vessles, and, that they can be had through GL at times.
Any thoughts, or sources?
Thanks,
Henry

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have a simple centrifuge unfortunately it is on my list of projects to complete. Oh and they are not expensive at all. If you have the skill, materials, machines, liability insurance, etc to make them you would know this. The "real" centrifuges are FAR more costly. From my experience simple centrifuge is a good company that tries to take care of their customers. They are also a young company that is constantly improving their products. Wish I could tell you more, but until I get it up and running I don't have that much.

ygmir

I'd only say expensive is what you make it.
I would not imply that Simple Centrifuge is overpriced. I was just commenting that I'd like to spend less.
Did you buy the complete item, or, kit? May I ask what you paid?
Thanks,
HEnry

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yeah cheap imports and Wal-Mart has done that to everyone these days. Custom work is expensive. Currently they only sell the bowl and the motor. I purchased the bowl, and found two motors that will work with it on ebay. I picked up one single phase as they suggested, and another three phase in order to play with the RPM later. Motors are cheap on ebay, but you still want to buy a quality motor, so you don't have to worry about bearings. They are working on the housing, and if they start selling them before I build my own I may buy one. Building the housing is easy though, so I won't pay as much as I would for the bowl. The bowl is a critical item that is dangerous if built incorrectly.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Do a search, Stretch has a good write up about his. He said he had to heat the oil up in order for it to work correctly.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to use one for waste veggie oil, filtering WVO is a PITA.
Ken (Texas) centrifuged a sample of biodiesel/water for me a couple of years ago and it worked beautifully. His set-up is military surplus, though.
I believe some fuel filters are based on the centrifuge principle also (Racor?).

houdel

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a mil surplus centrafuge that i got from a GSA auction. I can do a gallon in about 2 minutes. I usally run no more than 30% oil. So i really don't have to spend much time slinging oil. It can turn black oil to a light amber color easily. I found it's takes less time to turn amber if i let the oil settle for a few days before i spin it. But i have to do batches. Mine has 4 1qt containers that i have to fill manually. And you have to get the amounts pretty close so it doesen't get out of balence and vibrate. It takes some labor. But it's more than paid for it's self.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow! I can't believe that that thread that Houdel linked to is up to 101 pages. The last I saw that it was under 50, and I though that was incredible.

houdel

Blood_of_Tyrants said:
You are better off just getting a good 5 micron filter.
ONLY if you already have the filter system AND only if you are only filtering a very small quantity of oil. If you have the filter setup already and are filtering, for example, the drain oil from your vehicle(s) for reuse, that will work. If you have to buy the hardware or are filtering a lot of oil, the centrifuge is much more cost effective.

Lets say you have to buy your filter setup to get started. The filter base, filter element, and fittings and hardware to get your oil into the filter and collect the clean oil could run you upwards of $100. If all you filter is 100 gallons of waste oil, your filtering cost is $1.00 per gallon, not real cost effective. Of course, diesel here locally today is $3.58 per gallon, so you would see some savings.

If you are going to filter a lot of oil, the filter elements are going to run into some money. Lets say an element is $15 and, depending on the quality of your oil, have to be replaced every 100-300 gallons of oil. that means your element cost is roughly five to fifteen cents per gallon of oil filtered. OK, that's not too bad, but if you are filtering a lot of oil you are going to want to come up with some sort of a pumping system to move the oil, unless you can afford to spend a lot of time pouring your waste oil into a funnel.

Other disadvantages of a filter - The filter system will not dewater the oil, you will still have to figure out a way to do that. A five micron filter will NOT remove all particulate greater than 5 microns. Filters are rated for NOMINAL filtration. A five micron nominal filter will pass a certain amount of 10-15 micron particulate. To filter to 5 microns ABSOLUTE you will need to use a 1 micron nominal filter element.

A centrifuge is not for everyone. You need to filter a LOT of oil to justify $500-$600 for a centrifuge, pump and all the other pieces to build a working system. However, a centrifuge will remove particulate down to less than one micron, will dewater the oil and will process your oil a lot faster - the small Dieselcraft centrifuge is rated for 55 gallons per hour.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
5 micron is nowhere near fine enough. the ip head has probably 1 micron or less fit. i would not want anything less than 0.1 micron filtered fuel.

rdixiemiller

I used a 10 gallon bowl centrifuge for years getting paint sludge out of the recirc water in paint booths. Binks makes a nice one, so does US centrifuge. These have a sprayer that directs the water into the spinning bowl (4500rpm). The sediment goes to the outside of the bowl, the clean water comes out through a chute. When the bowl loads up, the water cuts off, the chute swings away, and a scraper assembly removes the slufge cake. A similar system would work for oil, but you would need a pretty good flow. The Dieselcraft unit looks good. You might be able to use an old power steering pump to supply the oil.

OK OK maybe i missed it. what does the Diesel craft Centrifuge do when it gets full of the waste product that is not good. I was planning on just pumping mine threw a 5 micron filter. but trying to see which one is the best to use. Ive never been around a centrifuge, so im trying to get used to how it works. Gotta get something figured out with these high prices in diesel and got this duece home now. time to get it off the high priced diet of straight diesel :twisted:

scooter01922

It all seems so darned pricey!!! Maybe it's because i happen to have a lathe and milling machine here but it really doesn't look very hard to make a centrifuge rotor like the ones shown at the simple centrifuge site. I may just have to go get me a block of aluminum and see.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I am going to try to build one. All I need is something round to spin (I imagine an old heavy cooking pot with a steel lid that has been cut to be like a doughnut), a big washtub to catch it as it overflows with a drain into a jug or three, and an electric motor mounted directly to the washtub. And a stand. I can make it out of scrap metal. I'll let you guys know how it comes.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have run across some plans on how to make an earlier version similar to the simple centrifuge rotor out of a brake rotor and then 8" or so pipe. Don't get lazy on this stuff though as you can make quite a kenetic bomb when this is spinning at 1800/3600RPM. A nice heavy containment housing would be recomended just in case.

I have made progress on my housing with all the metal cut, but not welded up or machined for the seal. I am making a few extra housings I probably will sell if someone wants one to work with one of SC's rotors

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks