• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for WD-1A wire for my DR-8 reel

ida34

Anyone know where I can get some wire for my reel so I can get my GRA-39's talking to one another? I see Austin has some on Ebay but I am looking to spend less than $60 plus shipping for the wire. I am looking for from 500 to 1000 feet worth.

Thanks
Chuck

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$60 a roll is cheap nowadays. Copper is $3 a pound, so all the wire goes up in price. Take Chuck's advise - know who the scrap haulers are, become friends with them somehow, and you'll end up with all the cool stuff for cheap prices. Perhaps as cheap as a case of beer every now and again.

I doubt that you will find any after exercises anymore. The military has/is disposing of all wilre com gear. Much of the WD 1 has already been sold at auction as-is or as scrap.

Be carefull about paying too much for it; most field phone wire is steel, some with a copper "wash: so it looks like copper wire to the uninitiated. Copper is not as strong as steel and would break much easier under the rigor of field conditions.

If you go to the Aberdeen Rally next May there should be several guys with it. I would bring some if so many others did not have it. It would be expensive stuff to ship.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw a whole Unipack pallet box with WD-1 wire in it, all tossed in there.. I dont know how many spools worth was in there, but untangling it was going to be a huge project, so thats why the guys tossed it in the dumpster.. Hope none of them were signed for it.

Your best bet is get a roll from Austin, if you lucky, you'll get a nice new roll, never used.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks