• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bridge plate cover?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn: That is a good question...I'm not sure. I will add that they had nylon camo covers for the west coast mirrors. Sadly, I sold them WITH my old 1987 M49A2C. I should never have included them, but I stupidly left them in the tool box and the guy saw them.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never seen the mirror covers before getting them with my fuel truck, and have not seen them since. I had no idea they even had such a thing...but, as you say, it makes sense.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The yellow draws a lot of attention for a camouflaged vehicle...
If your trying to be inconspicuos, I think your messing with the wrong vehicle!!!
But seriously, I like the forest green bridge plate on my truck (1970 three color camo) very subtle.

Jones

Bjorn,
What I remember was a thin gauge sheet-metal disc with a lip running towards the back about 1 1/4" and a couple of wire legs that went down behind the bridge plate to keep it in place. Imagine a coffee can cut down 'til the sides are only 1 1/4" tall then the sides are further cut back so that it only runs from 9:00 to 3:00.
Field-expedient was just to smear mud over it 'cause the covers didn't always stay in place when travelling over rough terrain-- which was most of the Vietnamese highway system.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Bridge plate cover?

Jones said:
Bjorn,
What I remember was a thin gauge sheet-metal disc with a lip running towards the back about 1 1/4" and a couple of wire legs that went down behind the bridge plate to keep it in place. Imagine a coffee can cut down 'til the sides are only 1 1/4" tall then the sides are further cut back so that it only runs from 9:00 to 3:00...
I want one and if they actually existed, I could make one, I suppose. Never seen a TM ref.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the standard issue item might have been a MUD kit, which consisted of a can of clay dirt and a can of water, in a cardboard box with 3 pages of instructions and cost the US military about $659 a peice

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Bridge plate cover?

Just a thought, has anyone tried a light over-spray of flat black or brown to mimic mud) over the face of the plate (kinda like a "motor pool field modification")

Jones

Bjorn,
I only saw them installed... or laying on the ground after they fell off; never "new-in-the-box". If they were a motorpool-made item they were all sure identical. So maybe the idea came out in a PS Magazine Suggestion Box type article?

jasonjc

In my time in the army I never saw any covers for any of the shine stuff. But in NTC I did see some trucks with sand bags over the headlights. As for the glass (windsheilds and window) they made us take those out.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Bridge plate cover?

73m819 said:
the standard issue item might have been a MUD kit, which consisted of a can of clay dirt and a can of water, in a cardboard box with 3 pages of instructions and cost the US military about $659 a peice
HA HA HA HA !!!!

I believe that also came in the standard BII kit for the Lubrication Kit, Grease, Elbow upgrade for most MVs. Elbow Grease only came issued in 5-gallon pails, along with a hank of 50-foot of flight line.

Side note - man, Bjorn your truck is looking SWEET! Hope to see that truck in the ECC this year!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

"That's the second stupidest looking MV I have seen. The first was that deuce in CA with the Blazer axles."

Thanks Mike...Ahum..do you remember the above statement, same basic truck?

Just kidding.

Mike_Pop

My Unimog had a flourescent orange safety placard that had a rubberized camo cover. It had a drawstring around it so you could wrap the placard and tie the cover tight around it.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Min'e sOD with black letters.

Bjorn, that truck is looking really good!! i don't recall, have you had it out on the road at all yet?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Bridge plate cover?

OPCOM said:
Min'e sOD with black letters.

Bjorn, that truck is looking really good!! i don't recall, have you had it out on the road at all yet?
Only turned it around and drove it up and down the driveway, Patrick. I take baby steps and enjoy every one, working on the lights now and run the engine every so often to gain confidence.
It is seeing it from the front so often now that made me ask about a cover for the yellow bridge plate.
If it was easier to install, it could simply be turned over and have the back side match the color of the vehicle, but the radiator brush guard has to come off for that.
Mike, I remember that big orange plate on your Unimog....

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Bridge plate cover?

cranetruck said:
"That's the second stupidest looking MV I have seen. The first was that deuce in CA with the Blazer axles."

Thanks Mike...Ahum..do you remember the above statement, same basic truck?

Just kidding.
You caught me - but that comment was being made about a 8x8 that was painted black, had chrome everywhere, and was turned into a party boat if I remember correctly. I really like yours restored to original. Looks bad a$$!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks