• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire lube?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm assuming this would be a modification? Anyway, after spending the last few hours tring to break down a split rim. I've decided to put a silicone lube on the tire beads to help with the next flat. Anybody ever tried this? I know, I usally take mine down to the tire shop also to be repaired. But i've also had to do this in the woods far from town. And in that case the easier it is the better!! Any sudjestions on what to use if any thing?

Westech

CPL
I dont know about that. When we mount tires we use a black tar type sealer ( glue) so there are no leaks or the tire spinning on the rim! because thats not a good thing.

Desert Rat

Ken,
You want to use a sealer because if the tire spins you can kiss the inner tube neck good bye. Shortly after decapitating the inner tube you can kiss the tire good bye too because the tire is not supposed to come off the rim. If it does come off the rim it will not reseal and is a garbage carcass.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking more along the lines of a silicone spray, not an oil or grease. Or mabye something to keep the tire from bonding to the rim. I've had to destroy this tire to get the bead off. I've broken down many spilt rims and it shouldn't be this hard.

Desert Rat

Ken,
What's happened is the tire has dry-rotted to the rim then. Trust me, if this happens then you don't want to remount the tire. Dry rot is a nasty thing especially when it's time to re-air and reseat the tire back to the rim. I've seen some very impressive tire explosions in my day. None were pretty or quiet. Also consider what could happen in the field, or worse, on the road with traffic near. Just some thoughts......

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea i'm having to cut the tire off. The ring came off with no problem, but the other side is going to see the saw.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks