• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mil. Spec. Cannon plugs

Jones

Any intereest in a catalog of the Mil. Spec. Cannon plugs with a breakdown of the part numbers decoding; shell size, type of mount and configuration, orientation, number of pins and their relative wire sizes? I have it in .pdf

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes! That would be much helpful for ham radio people like myself. I have spare cannon connectors in all sorts of sizes, pick them up at hamfests whenever I get a chance.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "MS" type connectors used on our trucks and radio equipment are modular, that is to say, they can be taken apart and assembled with different inserts and clamps etc.
There are suppliers of these separate parts, so if you have the shell, you don't have to spend a small fortune just to get the insert and a match...

Tanner

Cannon catalogs

Go to www.peigenesis.com & get yourself a free Cannon and/or Amphenol catalog sent to your home or place of work - yep, shameless 'plug' for my employer...

Also, look at http://www.peigenesis.com/ittCannon_pdfLibrary.html

These are the pages from the Cannon catalog in .pdf format. Similar layout for the Amphenol catalog. Our engineers developed easier to use connector catalogs, with data taken from the Cannon & Amphenol factory books.

HTH -

"Tanner"

Michael

RE: Cannon catalogs

Thanks for the link. Your company has a way above average site. About the only criticism I have is not having a link to download the whole catalog in one file. I did order paper copies, but would like a pdf of the whole catalog. I guess I am a pdf pack rat.

Tanner

And the catalogs are WAY BETTER & easier to use than the factory catalogs!

Also, take a look at www.peicookbook.com - this is a link to the new Cookbook paper catalog that we have - I refer to it as "Connectors for Dummies"... It shows how to spec out a complete connector solution, e.g., connector, endbell/backshell/heat shrink, tube or boot for rearend, etc...

Enjoy!

"Tanner"

Michael

I got my catalogs today. Have to say they look pretty good. Even has sections on the tools to use and how to put them together. Thanks again.

KAILUAZ

How expensive are these plugs? I know that's an open question with all the options out there, but I'm considering using a few of these plugs in the engine bay of my Mustang project. I did order the PEI catalogs and have been trying to figure it all out.
For example I'm looking at the AIB/GT series with 13 contacts, just your plain setup without any crazy options.
Thanks,
Eric

Jones

I looked and there's a copy of the ITT/CANNON book in the tech. library in the tech articles section. It breaks down the codes so you can tell what size a plug is and what features it's assembled with.

Jones

The Daniels AF-8 crimping tools are on ebay occasionally. Just make sure you get the one for automotive size wire. I think the wire size selector wheel on the side of the tool goes from 22 to 12 gauge. An identical looking crimper is for computer wire and won't take the bigger stuff.

KAILUAZ

Ok I think I have the plug type/arrangement figured out. I might go with the solder type as I cant justify spending over $100.00 on the crimping tool (without the hub in most cases).
Thanks,
Eric

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks