• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Armored shield

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
How much weight can the gunners turrett hold? I have been told a shield/m23 = 150 lbs, plus m2 HB= 80 Lbs...
This adds up to 230 Lbs..+ ammo...Looks like a lot of weight for the roof and Gunners Cradle to hold. Let alone takeing it off road..
Any one have any experience with different weights on the hard back roof?...Ive seen pics of a lot of armor up there..
thanks
Kevin...

The reason im asking is I bought a APC-113 shield with built in M23 cradle. Im told it might be too heavy for the turrett..I defently wont be off road with it..This is for an early m1044 Hmmwv. 1987

kcimb

Re: RE: Armored shield

rmgill said:
How thick is that? It doesn't look like it would stop much!
It's sloped...it will deflect/stop bullets smaller than what most medium MGs fire but won't stop heavier guns.

BillIdaho

Most military shields that mount up on a cupola, such as an M113, M114, early HMMV are made out of either T1 or M2 plate. Both are a tempered/hardened plate steel. Not the plain AISI-SAE 1018 steel you would buy if you went to the local steel supply place and bought a piece of ordinary plate steel.
If anyone ever wants to weld on this plate, there are specific welding procedures you will need to follow. Not for maintaining its bullet-resistence, but to keep the weld (and surrounding area) from crystalizing, and possibly having a very heavy chunk of metal crashing down on top of someone or something.
I think,(in my advanced years the memory has its limitations), they were designed to stop up to .30 cal. ball. Plain commonly found plate steel, such as the 3/8 mentioned before would barely shine up a ball round up to a couple of hundred yards! An .06'with a softpoint hunting bullet will poke a clean hole in a piece of that plate.
Forget what you see on TV. I used to teach Hunter Education, and would demonstrate the power those rounds have.

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yes, But what about the weight? Will the cradle/turrett support it?..Im into it for the looks, not the stoping power...at least not in the US..
Kevin..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks