• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton winch on rear of deuce!

dlb

im mounting a 5 ton hydraulic winch on the rear of my deuce. it has the motor on it but none of the rest of the stuff. does anyone know the best way to accomplish this. i plan on also putting a deuce winch on front so I will need the pto on the tranny for it.
I talked to a guy that said the 5 ton winch is to heavy for the front and that a good bump will crack or even break the front spindles if you hit a bump pretty hard. I dont know for sure but he seemed pretty knowlegeable about it. i can build a bracket for the pump and mount it by the generator and run it off the gen. belts and install the controls both in the cab and at the back of the truck and get a tank for the fluid. i guess my biggest questions are what size and pressure pump to use and the type of control valve i need to get plus what to do about the control lever on the top side of the winch and what its function is.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just curious, where did you find this hydraulic winch and what is the rating?
I would think that a transfer case PTO would be the best way to run the pump.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost all your questions can be answere with one word!! Spicergear! He has two winches on his deuce both off of 5 tons. Pretty wild setup. I haven't seen him posting lately now that I think about it. Hey 715 clan, has Spicergear been over on the zone posting?

spicergear

I'm here Kenny...just a lot of stuff going on at home. Everything a guy in love wants be put through (as I glance at my wedding band...) Anyhow, hey Dave, I don't think you really need to worry about cracking a spindle. That's a little odd to hear too. I've seen several deuce REO brush trucks that took a shot to the front wheel by a stump or caught a tree and they unwrapped the front spring and shoved one side of the axle back. No spindle problems reported...(heh,heh) they're an easy fix anyway. You don't want it to happen on the pass side or you'll smash output on the T-case if the slip yoke bottomes. You could change out a spindle in an hour goofing around. The main problem with front mount of that 5 ton's 20,000# winch is it's physical size. It's a massive winch that might not look right. The reason on my truck that I was able to get away with it was I had previously installed my two and a quarter CAT 1160/3208 and that motor was a bit shorter than the multifuel. I was able to move the radiator back about 4" or 5" and then put the back 'strap' of the winch right at the front crossmember of the trucks frame. I only had to extend my frame by 7-5/8".
The 20,000#'er I put on the rear of the truck had the whole roller fairlead setup on it. Those angle in and just about match the angle of the heavy reinforcement that goes from the sides of the frame and angle in to give the pintle area more support. I did have to remove a crossmember, but will be putting it back in when I complete the PTO drive for it. Again, a physically large winch. Here's couple of the rear winch. OH, I've also since these pics trimmed off the bolt pattern from the rear axles rear pinion output. Didn't ever need the cable to stack up and that be a problem. There's more room between the two than the photo makes it look. I'll get my wires out from under the frame one of these days too. :) OH, I've got a spool of around 300' of 5/8" cable for it too. I've got around 240' or 5/8" on the front with room to spare.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I highly doubt the 5 ton winch would cause the front spindles to break. There was a movie that came out a couple years back (cant remember which one) but it had a horrible scene of a duece being launched 10ft in the air. It landed extremely hard and the front wheels didnt break off. It was so upsetting to see them trash that truck.

Elwenil

I seem to remember some deuce antics on "First Blood", the first of the "Rambo" series. Also, how different are the transfer cases and PTO setups on the 2.5 tons and the 5 tons? The only hydraulic setup I can remember seeing pics or info on was for a 900 series 5 ton, so maybe that might be a source of parts and specification info. Just my .02

DUUANE

YEP IT WAS FIRST BLOOD.
i used to live a couple of miles from where it was filmed.

the deuce was supposed to crash through the police barricade and push the cruisers out of the way.but the stunt co-ordinators underestimated the deuce and when they went for it it launched the truck.scared the carp outa everyone on the set.when they screened it it looked so cool they left it in.

i hope the stunt driver had the air ride seat.

spicergear

The Rambo deuce wasn't a REO though, it was the earlier GMC deuce. Still a wickedly neat scene! Oh, and the front axle is rated at 11,000# capacity too. The winch and cable set up is only like another 400# anyway. Heh,heh.

dlb

I bought it from a guy selling two on ebay thinking that it was a deuce winch and when i got there it was a monster of a winch and looks just like toms.I bet tom hasnt said nothing about going to be in the tough truck contest

this is a pic of it settin in the back of my ranger p/u

hydraulic motor on the winch

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like the hydraulic motor option, adds a lot of flexibility. I have a pump already for my crane running off the transfer PTO. Heck, I could mount one of those anywhere....

hot rod deuce

I wouldnt worry bout the front end, when i pick up my middle axle there is 7800 pounds on the front and 6000 on the back, thats like 1500 more on the front than normal.

Clem1226

you don't have to worry about the spindels breaking, I accidently launched one about 30 feet in the air(turns out the grave pile I tried to use as a emergency mire pit was actually concrete tailings) and the spindels didnt break...the front axel was U shaped and the block was cracked where the differental made contact with it but the spindels where intact.....I have picks somewhere, I'll post as soon as I find them.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i cant beleave that thay can be the only place to get THAT part, with the great number of supplyers out there, i dont beleave in rape and thats what there doing with there prices

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks