• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

runnin slop fuel what should i do?

joey

I have access to 1000 or so gallons of slop diesel at work this consists of: BILGE WATER diesel, new engine oil, used engine oil and used hydraulic oil. I am wondering what I should do in order to safely run this in my deuce.
I have bottom drained the slop tank of most of the water till it drains a dirty dyed red. Ive checked the top and its bright gray. I plan on pumping off 200 gallons from the middle of the tank into my mobile 200-275 gallon tank and then bottom draining the mobile tank again.
I have a raycor, its the big one that holds about a gallon and a half of fuel. I have a 2 micron filter in it. I plan on installing
The raycor on the small tank and then recycling the "fuel" through it. Then I will install the raycor with a 2 micron filter in the deuce. Is there anything else I should do or watch for? The 2 micron filter should be small enough to filter out any metal from the used motor oil shouldn't it?

I know what water looks like in diesel and hydraulic oil but not a mystery mixture of motor oil hydraulic etc etc etc and I really dont want to screw up my truck but I don't want to pay 3.50 at the pump either.
Also I have about 200 gallons of new motor oil mixed with hydraulic oil in 55 gallon drums from what i read on here this should be fine to mix directly in my deuce mixed with 50% diesel???

bottleworks

The 2 micron filter should be small enough to filter out any metal from the used motor oil shouldn't it?
No. You need to run all of that through a centrifuge several times before letting it get near your fuel tank!

Prefilter it first to get rid of the gunk that would quickly clog the centrifuge. Then circulate it through the centrifuge until it cleans up. There is a nice post on here about it. WVO users also typically use a centrifuge to clean up their WVO. You can find info @
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man my centrafuge could make short work of that. When you pump it off the middle let it set for a few days more water and the metals that are suspended should settle to the bottom. Metals in soulition will not. You would have to filter them or sling them out. If you had a old hot water heater you could strip the insulation off the tank and paint it black. Then put it in the sun and out of the wind. Then fill it about 3/4 full. Remove the plug at the top and let the sun heat it. If you can get it to 110 deg the water should seperate from the fuel even more. Watch it though, don't let it get too hot. I would probally run it through your racor more then once. Changing the element in between. Then look at it and see what you've got. With it having red dye are you worried about a DOT checking your fuel tank. Or is the truck off road? I wish i could get ahold of some more #4 light fuel oil. If you had a centafuge you would have a goldmine on your hands!

Bill W

Racors ( and most filters) only filter out FREE water, they do very little to emulsified water., If its grey in color then theres still water in suspension, for some reason salt water stays suspendid in fuel/oil longer then fresh at least thats been my observation from 25+ years in the marine fuel cleaning business. I'd filter it ( off the top) into a seperate tank then cut it with some new diesel and wait till it settles out to a darker color which eventually it will providing that the bilge water does not have any type of bilge cleaner/emusifiers in it, being water out weighs diesel by about 1lb per gal. As mentioned a centrefuge would make quick work of it...if you had one!
A black/dark painted tank sitting out in the sun will help speed things along
Remember also that all kinds of strange things get thrown/pumped into slop tank so unless you can account for what been put into said tank I would not chance using it even with the water problem eliminated

joey

How much driving do you do/are you planning? I would not use any of it, but that's just me.
A lot if its free!

With it having red dye are you worried about a DOT checking your fuel tank. Or is the truck off road? I wish i could get ahold of some more #4 light fuel oil. If you had a centafuge you would have a goldmine on your hands!
No not really Ive been experimenty with ways to remove the dye I think I got it to work But im still testing to see if its cost effective, of course I wouldnt never run it on the road anywase. I beileave in giving all the money I can to help suport the government tell me what I can and can't do.

Racors ( and most filters) only filter out FREE water, they do very little to emulsified water., If its grey in color then theres still water in suspension, for some reason salt water stays suspendid in fuel/oil longer then fresh at least thats been my observation from 25+ years in the marine fuel cleaning business. I'd filter it ( off the top) into a seperate tank then cut it with some new diesel and wait till it settles out to a darker color which eventually it will providing that the bilge water does not have any type of bilge cleaner/emusifiers in it, being water out weighs diesel by about 1lb per gal. As mentioned a centrefuge would make quick work of it...if you had one!
A black/dark painted tank sitting out in the sun will help speed things along
Remember also that all kinds of strange things get thrown/pumped into slop tank so unless you can account for what been put into said tank I would not chance using it even with the water problem eliminated
I usally do all the pumping and bilge cleaning so I know whats in it for the most part. Usually I just use petrolum based solvent there would be about 5 gallons of superclean degreaser in it and that would be it for bilge cleaners/emulsifiers.

A lot of the fuel was already in the tank but was old before my boss decided to make it a slop tank 400 gallons or so came from some detroits when somone forgot to install something during the rebuild and it dumped all the fuel into the oil pan. No one seemed to notice untill it was comming out of the dipstick. It was however kinda of neat to see the Coast Guard towing a tug boat with a life boat......

We do have a centurfuge on the boat but I am not sure if it works and I worry that by the time I got it all figured out and working that my boss would have me put all the slop fuel back into the daytank

Does that 300 dollar dislcraft centerfuge seperate the water????

Not to long ago I pumped out around 10,000 gallons wich my boss had to pay to get hauled off. I know im sitting on a gold mine I just dont have alot of cash to spend to extract my gold..

oh well mabey Ill just burn it in my stove and sell my firewood to buy diesle to burn in my truck :(

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 4 element, 750 Luberfiner fuel scrubber at work. Would that clean a mixture like joey has? I totally forgot about it. Guess it would filter the FedEx gas real good too!

joey

well im picking up 275 gallons on the weekend. I found a free oil burning stove and am just gonna filter it and run the stove with it. If anyone knows of a cheap centerfuge for around 300 that will work for it or let me know, or if anyone has one that is close by I wouldnt mind giving away fuel as long as I get some decent fuel back. Ive looked at the tank again today it will be more then 3,000 gallons i think. However im not too sure how much of that would be useable the tank is a foot or two from the top and ive bottom draind most of the water out allready. I will take pictures and post after the weekend.

joey

I went to take some fuel and there was nothing decent. It was all water I know there should have been somthing becuse I pumped a bunch of fuel into it not to long ago. Im just gonna have to store a bunch of 55 gallon drums and wait till the next time somthing needs pumped out.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to see that your less than pump price fuel source has gone away...for now. Keep your eyes peeled though, it helps to have free fuel!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks