• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found that whine in the engine compartment

readyman

Started tearing apart the alternator and found this. The ball bearing at the pulley end of the shaft. Seems to be a ball or two short. :? The bearing assembly self destructed, not being either a shielded or sealed bearing assembly. I'll upgrade to a sealed bearing assembly when I rebuild the alternator. Diodes are on their way from Auto Electric Service, VA.

Less than 350 hours on this alternator!

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
readyman said:
Started tearing apart the alternator and found this. The ball bearing at the pulley end of the shaft. Seems to be a ball or two short. :? The bearing assembly self destructed, not being either a shielded or sealed bearing assembly. I'll upgrade to a sealed bearing assembly when I rebuild the alternator. Diodes are on their way from Auto Electric Service, VA.

Less than 350 hours on this alternator!
Does someone have all the info, part numbers etc. to re-building a deuce alternator?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Found that whine in the engine compartment

Mike, there's a manual here in the TM section and the Leece Neville/Prestolite website has p/n's. Readyman, is it easy to get the rear gearing out? What did you yse to do it?

readyman

RE: Re: Found that whine in the engine compartment

The bearing is a loose press fit to the housing, it came out easy with a hammer and a piece of wood.

I wouldn't even try to rebuild these alts, but there is no upgrade replacement. Leece Neville/Prestolite reps said they took down the assembly line early this year, said there is no equivilent model. Repair shops say "haven't seen one of those in 10-15 years". And parts? The diode model number doesn't even show up in replacement charts its so old. The bearings are off the shelf common tho.
We have to find the current version model of these alternators, seems the 7-1/4 mounting distance is the problem.

readyman

:? Well, the deuce alternator saga continues. Been deadlined since Nov.
Replaced the alt. bearings, that's no problem, still common bearings.

Looking at the metal corrosion and seals, I decided to paint all the housing and any exposed metal, pulley, etc. Beefed up shaft seals. Kinda makes sense if this truck is supposed to be 'fording' capable.
Took a while, but eventually sourced and got in replacement diodes (Chinese)...(?)
Triple checked all the resistances of windings, stator, AOK.
Put it all back together and nothin, must be the internal regulator.
After calling around I can't find the internal regulator's anywhere. Lot of wasted time and effort so far.

I saw Gamagoat1's post from 1-8-08 about S&S in Schaumburg, IL :idea: and getting desperate... thought I'd give em a call. To make a long story short - a new AMA 5104 UT came in the next day. BTW all those bare metal parts are already painted and zinc chromated, like they should be.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks