• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brought Home an M880 today

jeffinnorthtexas

Today I went and picked up an M880. The seller had 3 to chose from, so I looked them over, drove a couple, and picked the one I like the best.
I don't know much about these trucks, but the one I got seems to be in pretty good shape compared to a lot of others I have seen for sale.
This one has been "civilianized". The truck has an Earl Scheib paint job, the rails on top of the tailgate and bed are removed, and the grill has been replaced with a civilian 77 grill without the cutouts for the military lights. Interior has new floor mat, and new vinyl seat upholstry. It still has the big military light switch on the dash, and most of the dash gauges seem not to be operating. It does start, run and drive very nice, and has minimal rust issues. It has big Hummer tires on it, which look pretty neat.
I am not sure if I will keep it or sell it, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, I have always thought the M880's were kind of neat. It looks good parked next to my M37.
Jeff

N1265

electrical issues are the #1 PITA on these vehicles, But other than that they are very easy to keep on the road.

Good luck with your M880

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That looks great, I love those trucks.

:beer:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like one of the ones that Alfa Heaven had for sale. I have heard mixed reviews about his stuff. They look real nice, but a few here have found mechanical deficiencies with his stuff....

jeffinnorthtexas

Yes, that was where this was at one time. A gentleman in central Texas has 3 of them up for sale. I had my pick of any one I wanted. I was able to crawl around and under them, as well as drive each of them before I decided. This one seemed really solid, although the other two were pretty good also.
They all ran good, each had a very solid body with very little rust, and all have really cheap paint jobs.
Today I had a chance to check out my truck in more detail after getting it unloaded. It drives really well, and after sitting on my driveway for two hours, no oil leaks were showing. All the fluids look good.
The interior is nice, and as it turns out, only two gauges are not working, the temp. and the oil pressure gauges. Everything else works, including the heater blower.
All in all, I think this truck might be a keeper, that needs little more than cosmetic work and a little TLC. The seller's other two looked pretty nice also. If anyone wants an M880 in running condition, let me know, and and I will email you the seller's contact info.
Jeff

nattieleather

He had those trucks up for sale on ebay right? I understand why he paints them the way he does but to an MV lover that's almost an insult. Nothing that a good sanding and some forest green, earth brown, sand and black wont fix... :)

jeffinnorthtexas

nattieleather said:
He had those trucks up for sale on ebay right? I understand why he paints them the way he does but to an MV lover that's almost an insult. Nothing that a good sanding and some forest green, earth brown, sand and black wont fix... :)

Yes, the guy I got it from had all three on Ebay a while back.
Jeff

jeffinnorthtexas

N1265 said:
That is a good looking truck, How is the interior ? is it red also ?
The interior is very nice, but it was not painted and is still original military paint. The door panels look new, windows roll up an down nice, has new vinyl seat covering and new floor mat. Dash is in great shape with only 2 gauges not working and one gauge missing, ( the one way off to the left side of dash). It still has the metal military spec/ID plate on the dash, as well as the white warranty sticker, both in good readable condition.
Jeff

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jeffinnorthtexas said:
....................one gauge missing, ( the one way off to the left side of dash).................................
Sounds like a M882 or M884, a single volt / amp gauge on far left is for the auxillary 24v radio system which wasn't on the M880

jeffinnorthtexas

I just looked at the plate on the dash, and mine is an M882. That answers the question I had about what gauge I was missing there. Thanks.
Jeff

AJMBLAZER

Alfa got most of their Dodges after they had gone from their second government career. Fire departments, forestry services, etc. I asked why they were all different colors when I got my Chevy from them last year.

Just keep an eye on the truck as mine proves that Alfa was more interested in making it look good than actually being good.

jeffinnorthtexas

Yes, I am going to go over it with a fine tooth comb. I already an making a list of areas where rust was painted over. I will be repairing these areas before giving it a new paint job. So far, the mechanical components seem sound, but I will be inspecting everything.
An old truck with a new, cheap paint job ,usually means some problems are hidden under that shine.
Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks