• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

importing armor from outside US

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am working with another collector, interested in the possibility of importing armor into the United States from Europe. This would be non-USA armor, stuff like Ferrets, FV432s, Chieftains, etc. We really have no expertise here, just interest if we can get some interesting pieces for collectors over here.

Bottom line - how hard/expensive is it to import armor from, say, London England to Baltimore (I live about 2 hours from Baltimore, road shipping wouldn't be that bad)? If its a paperwork nightmare, I probably wouldn't be interested.

TacticalTruck

I'm licenesed with ATF. Biggest thing is shipping into the US is getting very expensive. A friend has been saying for years he is going to send me Ferrets. He keeps dropping the ball but now it might finally happen. I quit telling people because they want them but the vehicles never show. We'll see. I would say the stuff dosent move that fast over here and you would be in danger of having a pile of money tied up in your inventory.
Jeff

kcimb

Re: RE: importing armor from outside US

TacticalTruck said:
I'm licenesed with ATF. Biggest thing is shipping into the US is getting very expensive. A friend has been saying for years he is going to send me Ferrets. He keeps dropping the ball but now it might finally happen. I quit telling people because they want them but the vehicles never show. We'll see. I would say the stuff dosent move that fast over here and you would be in danger of having a pile of money tied up in your inventory.

Jeff

Jeff,

You have my full undivided atention.....my interest is piqued.

Mk 1/2 2/4 2/5 or 2/3...

:D

acetomatoco

RE: Re: RE: importing armor from outside US

Go see Allan Cors at the Virginia Military Museum... he has been importing all kinds of stuff for 20 years.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Are there any more importers out there that someone would recommend? Looking to purchase a piece of wheeled armor by late 2008/early 2009, and although I do not have the $$$ now, I am starting my research.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I'd also check with Hotrod Deuce. He just did this with his tank business.

Fred431

Importing Armor

Might not be considered armor but there is a 1943 M20 personnel carrier listed on Craigslist in NH under #702819668 Says its complete and has a picture FYI

Fred

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Importing Armor

Not sure if this helps the conversation, but what I am interested in is a Soviet-made BTR-40. They would only be available from Eastern Europe. However, there was a variant that Israel used that was repowered with a T-245 Dodge engine out of a M37. Those would only be available from, of course, Israel. This would make a difference in who could import them, since, for instance, Khaki Corps really only deals in British stuff.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there are many dealers located in England who will help you find all the russian equipemnt you want. go to milweb.net and check out the armor dealers section. Many listed all with experience in getting non-us stuff into the states.

tamangel

M-20 in New Hampshire

here's the info on that M-20 in New Hampshire as the link will eventually disappear, in case anyone is interested..

Military M-20 Personell Carrier 6x6 (Fitzwilliam NH)

Reply to: sale-702819668@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-05-31, 7:18PM EDT

1943 Military Personell carrier 6x6 Powered by Hercules flathead 6 (gas) standard trans, 6-9:00x20 tires (not running)approx weight 16,000 Pounds It's worth $5000.00 for scrap I'm not looking to scrap this rare piece of history. Looking to sell it for fair market value AS IS. To someone interested in Restoring The unit is complete. Serious Buyers only please.for appointment Call Tom (603)585-3071

Mike

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, you'd be better off buying something like this from Jeff. First, he has gone through the trouble of getting it here. Second, parts availability has got to better on the British stuff. Third, Jeff is right down I66 from you.

GoldComet6

Automobile Magazine did a story about buying a tank recently - "How to Buy a Tank". It's an interesting story whether you're in the market for a tank or not!! The author went to Czech Republic and talked to a company that will sell you anything ex-Russian military...including T-72s. Here is a link to the company's web site and a link to the story. This may help provide some info and maybe they could assist you in getting what you want when you've got the dough. They say they sell to the U.S. Army too.

www.excaliburarmy.cz

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/0804_how_to_buy_a_tank/index.html

bonshawman

I understand that the real hassle is bringing US armor back.

I have imported MV's from Europe, but not armor. I heard that it is getting "harder" to obtain Ferrets, and they are required to have the smoke genade launchers removed. Used Port of Brunswick GA, now use Jax FL.

My 1/2 is a 1952, has the launchers, and served last in Cypress. Had it out weekend before last - Florida titles and tagged, went bouncing to a mud pit (didn't go in) but boy those guys were impressed !! Even without the Bren gun mounted !! I've considered selling mine - lots of fun, but just don't get to play with her much.

Pic is in my post as "new member says hello" under conversations. Parts have not been a problem. Have another local friend with a 3/4, and also one old Canadian Ferret needing total resto.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks